From: Dentel, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:12 AM
To: Dean, Bill; Lew, David; Wilson, Peter; Roberts, Darrell; Collins, Daniel; Lorson, Raymond; Baker, Pamela;
Walker, Tracy; Sunil.Weerakoddyv(nrc.gov; Clifford, James; Miller, Chris
Cc: Screnci, Diane; Sheehan, Neil; Trapp, James; McNamara, Nancy; Tifft, Doug; Hansell, Samuel; Hinson,
Felicia; raymond.McKinelyvcnrc.qov; Dentel, Glenn
Subject: March 14, 2011, 11:30pm Japan Nuclear Facility Updates
Update regarding Japan from 1130 pm TA briefing,
Conditions have substantially changed
Unit 2 has not had core cooling for some time, apparently the pumps were deadheaded. Containment is no longer believed to be intact (They heard a loud explosion in containment and containment pressure reduced to atmospheric pressure). There is possibility of ex vessel fuel damage.
Unit 3 has stable core cooling, there is substantial debris in the SFP from earlier hydrogen explosion
Unit 4 SFP is dry. Potential fuel pool zirconium fire.
20 km evalucuation has been issue by Japan and 30 km shelter in place.
Site Boundary dose rates at Units 1/2 is 3 to 4 R/hr at Units 3/4 is 10 R/hr
NRC has dispatched 9 individuals to Japan lead by Chuck Casto DOE WRAP team is 7 hours out from arrival in Japan.
Next Update is at 0730.
- March 12th, 2011 UPDATE on Fukushima Daiichi – 15:30 telecon – NRC unsuccessful so far in lead role (enformable.com)
- March 12th 2011 12:52 PM FOAI Communication – Reactor 1 Water level was known to be below top of active fuel (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC ONLY Update – All 3 Reactor cores likely damaged (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – FOIA UPDATE from 15:30 telecon – Reactor 3 core believed 50% uncovered in first 2 days (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC 23:15 Telecon Fukushima – Reactor 2 containment pressure almost double of design basis (enformable.com)
- #Fukushima I Nuke Plant: One Step Forward, One Step Back, and One Enigma | EX-SKF (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC circulating requests for former BWR operators (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 UPDATE from 07:30 telecon – Fukushima Daiichi – USS Ronald Reagan picking up airborne contamination (enformable.com)