March 14th, 2011 – Japanese Earthquake Questions

Author: No Comments Share:

From: Pires, Jose
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 2:29 PM,
To: Kammerer, Annie; Ake, Jon
Cc: Graves, Herman; Hogan, Rosemary VU
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions 7,(I – ,
Attachments: Seismic design history OP2-2_Stevenson.pdf ( C’

Annie,
Attached is some information on the design for some of the affected Japanese plants.

Slide 2 says that for Fukushima 1 (unit 1) the PGA was 0.17 g. The National Bureau of Standards damage report for the 1978 Miyagiken-Oki earthquake, NBS SP 592, says that the design basis for that reactor was 0.18 g (and it used the Taft record from the 1952 Kern County earthquake response spectra – design was by Blume’s company – an author of the NBS report is Peter lanev who worked for John Blume at the time of the NBS report).

Slide 10 has values for the seismic design basis loads for other plants (Onagawa, Fukushima 1 and 2 included). It went up since the 1965 design for unit 1. I do not know if unit 1 was upgraded (meaning the -mechanical and electrical equipment becausethe buildings tend to be strong enough).

Slide 30. The first sentence on slide 30 is interesting. It says that the greatest impact of seismic requirements is on mechanical and electrical equipment, I tend to agree with that.

We will try to corroborate the information above with other sources. A comparison of these with PGA’s from SHAKECAST may show that the 0.48 g covers the recorded PGA at some sites and not be far from those at other sites.

We are getting a list of US BWR Mark I reactors with their locations and some design parameters (design pressure, OBE and SSE).

Thanks,
Jose.

From: Kammerer, Annie
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:20 PM
To: Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires, Jose; Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer; Case, Michael; Skeen, David; Munson,
Clifford; Ake, Jon
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions

Pat,
I currently have about 17 pages of questions that we should have pulled together in a pretty useful form later today, Attached, please see a list of unanswered engineering type questions that I pulled from the larger Q&A document. If you can get your guys working on these it would be very helpful. I am hoping to publish a version at about 4 or 5 today. So, if I can get something on these by perhaps 3 or 4, that would be great. Otherwise,
we will note that we are working on it.

From: Murphy, Andrew
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 3:09 PM
To: Kammerer, Annie; Case, Michael; Skeen, David; Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Pires, Jose; Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions

Is there anything that I can do to help the effort?
Andy

From: Kammerer, Annie
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:49 AM
To: Case, Michael; Skeen, David; Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires, Jose; Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions

I have compiled a set of questions from all available sources, which I think are pretty complete. I am organizing them now and I have cliff and ion helping me with some of the answers. I’ve pulled form the questions we got a kashiwazaki, the questions we have that have come in, the GI-199 com plan, the DCNPP com plan, and other laces.

I do have a request from RIV to pull a Q&A list for SONGS. If I brainstorm a list can I get help with answers?

What kind of experts do you have?

From: Case, Michael
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 7:51 AM
To: Skeen, David; Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires,. Jose; Kammerer, Annie; Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: Japanese Earthquake Questions

Hi guys. I don’t know where we stand on the seismic related questions after Sunday’s day shift activities (I -assume Annie was able to continue). Nevertheless, I have access to some more experts here this morning. If there are residual activities, just let me know and we’ll get them working.

FYI, Jon Ake and Cliff Munson are working on a separate set of the seismic questions.

Also, I don’t have any questions on Seismic PRA, which is a hot topic with industry lately (as evidenced by the recent letter from NEI asserting that SPRA is too undeveloped). I have asked Nilesh to develop some Q&As that we may see coming from industry to us as a result of all of this. Those are not likely to make it into the version I want to get out today, but we can add later.

Annie

From: Hiland, Patrick
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:05 AM
To: Kammerer, Annie
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires, Jose;-Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer; Case, Michael; Skeen, David
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions

NRR/DE has Kamal (seismic structures) to review specific questions. I also have several very experienced structural design engineers on staff (George Thomas & Farhead Farzam) If electrical, I have qualified staff and George Wilson that can help.

From: Kammerer, Annie
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:49 AM
To: Case, Michael; Skeen, David; Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires, Jose;, Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: RE: Japanese Earthquake Questions

I have compiled a set of questions from all available sources, which I think are pretty complete. I am organizing them now and I have cliff and ion helping me with some of the answers. I’ve pulled form the questions we got a kashiwazaki, the questions we have that have come in, the GI-199 com plan, the DCNPP corn plan, and other places.

What kind of experts do you have?

From: Case, Michael
Sent: Monday, March .14, 2011 7:51 AM
To: Skeen, David; Hiland, Patrick
Cc: Murphy, Andrew; Pires, Jose; Kammerer, Annie; Hogan, Rosemary; Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: Japanese Earthquake Questions

Hi guys. I don’t know where we stand on the seismic related questions after Sunday’s day shift activities (I assume Annie was able to continue). Nevertheless, I have access to some more experts here this morning. If there are residual activities, just let me know and we’ll get them working.

Previous Article