From: Cherry, Ronald C [[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 7:43 PM
To: Alan Remick; Aleshia Duncan; Duncan, Aleshia D; Trapp, James; James Trapp (BB); Mears, Jeremy M; Morales,
Russell A; Nesheiwat, Julia; Ulses, Anthony; Uchida, Koichi
Subject: FW: 08:40 Mar 15 – Running Update on Japan Emergency (running file attached)
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.
08:40 Mar 15 – Running Update on Japan Emergency (running file attached)
08:14 March 15, 2011 (Core Exposed at #2 Fukushima Daiichi) NHK on line: A NISA official at a press conference before 8:00 am noted that the fuel core was exposed about 2.7 meters above the water level in reactor No. 2 of Fukushima Daiichi.
The length of fuel core exposed is about half the entire length. Right after the sound of an explosion was heard, the amount of radiation was measured at 965.5 microSv. Afterward, the amount decreased to 882 microSV, according to the NISA official.
08:04 March 15, 2011 (GOJ: Blast Heard At #2 Reactor at Fukushima Daiichi): Kyodo reported the sound of a blast was heard Tuesday morning at the troubled No. 2 reactor of the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant (Fukushima Daiichi), the government said.
The incident occurred at 6:10 a.m. and is feared to have damaged the reactor’s pressuresuppression system, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said, citing a report from the plant’s operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. NHK on line reported at 08:04 NISA (Nuclear Safety Agency) noted that at 6:10 there was a sound of explosion in the reactor No. 2 of Fukushima Daiichi at a press conference.
CCS Edano assured that no dramatic increase of radiation around the facility. CCS Edano revealed that there was some damage in an equimpent connected to the reacter containment vessels called supression pool.
It is possible that the function to contain radiation is not working efficiently, Edano indicated.
- March 12th, 2011 – Youtube Video of the Tsunami Hitting Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Units Degrading – Zirconium Fire at Reactor 4 SFP – Reactor 2 Possible Reactor Vessel Breach & Ex-Vessel Core Reaction (enformable.com)
- All 6 Fukushima Daiichi Reactors and Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant’s likely to be decomissioned (enformable.com)
- TEPCO Releases new video on-site at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- Race against time at Fukushima Daiichi as Typhoon Roke approaches (enformable.com)
- TEPCO Earthquake Information Update as of March 14, 2300(JST) – Fukushima Daini Unit 1 in Cold Shutdown – All Fuel Became Uncovered AGAIN (enformable.com)
- Tsunami as seen from a Heating plant in the city of Minamisoma in Fukushima prefecture (enformable.com)
- Status of Fukushima Daiichi (as of September 20) – Temp Worker knocks filter off mask – no internal contamination found (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC 23:15 Telecon Fukushima – Reactor 2 containment pressure almost double of design basis (enformable.com)