From: Franovich, Mike
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:51 PM
To: Ostendorff, William
Cc: Nieh, Ho; Warnick, Greg; Kock, Andrea; Zorn, Jason
Subject: UPDATE: 2000 EDT Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi
Grobe led the discussion.
” NRC team led by Chuck Casto have not all arrived yet.
* INPO took action to get industry response (see latest LIA report. I asked Grobe if NRC was contemplating a similar action. None immediately planned but looking at generic com. that could come out in a few weeks.
” NRC looking to DOE for data stream from aerial sampling.
* No change in status of units 1, 2, and 3. Caveats about the IAEA data/table which is old info. NRC is working with NRC personnel in Tokyo to get similar data stream. RST working on a standard info set. I asked him to have the RST provide the next update in units that we use (I did the conversion in the spreadsheet below if you are metric intolerant).
” On Unit 2, asked Jack what gives us a better feeling that Unit 2 primary containment is” functional. No answer other than the primary seems to be holding pressure, but he didn’t know if it was based on the IAEA data. RST believes that a,ý,acuum breaker may have opened temporarily to relieve differential pressure between the drywell and torus and may have had a hydrogen burn.
” Unit 4 remains problematic. A new fire has broken out. Doses are stable in the area of Unit 4 around 30R/hr. Fire fighting and pool cooling strategy still being worked out.
* Units 5 and 6 have spent fuel pool temperature at approximately 80 degrees C.
* I asked Grobe (yep lots of questions from me tonight), if TEPCO was cycling operators in and out of the site to relieve personnel. No info on that other than TEPCO did evacuate nonessential personnel. Five individuals may have received a lethal dose.
” Chairman joined the bridge late asking for status on new fire for Unit 4. ET will give him an update before tomorrow am.
- March 12th, 2011 UPDATE on Fukushima Daiichi – 15:30 telecon – NRC unsuccessful so far in lead role (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 UPDATE from 07:30 telecon – Fukushima Daiichi – USS Ronald Reagan picking up airborne contamination (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – FOIA UPDATE from 15:30 telecon – Reactor 3 core believed 50% uncovered in first 2 days (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC 23:15 Telecon Fukushima – Reactor 2 containment pressure almost double of design basis (enformable.com)
- March 12th 2011 12:52 PM FOAI Communication – Reactor 1 Water level was known to be below top of active fuel (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC ONLY Update – All 3 Reactor cores likely damaged (enformable.com)
- NRC High Importance Notice Responding To Fukushima Disaster on March 11th (enformable.com)
- NRC Investigators Test Cooper Nuclear Station Workers And Find Disruptive Results (news.lucaswhitefieldhixson.com)