From: Carlson, Donala
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 3:40 PM
To: RST07 Hoc; RST01 Hoc
Cc: Parks, Cecil V.; Lee, Richard; Wagner, John C.
Subject: RE: assessment of the potential risk of a criticality configuration
Don Carlson (NRO), Richard Lee (RES), John Wagner (ORNL), and Cecil Parks (ORNL) concur on the following technical opinion:
Criticality in the spent fuel pools is very unlikely, particularly if boron is being added.
If other information is correct, such as the water level in the pool at unit 4 is very low (or empty), the consequences of criticality in one of the spent fuel pools will not be significant in comparison to the consequences of the pool remaining empty/exposed.
(Note: BWR spent fuel pools do not have borated water to begin with.)
- March 15th, 2011 – The Whole Spent Fuel Pool At Reactor 3 Could Boil Dry In 20 Days (enformable.com)
- March 16th 2011 – NRC Admits Zirc Fire Is Possible – But Won’t Release All the Research Data (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Classified as OUO documents – BWR zirc fire data (enformable.com)
- NRC “Talking Points” – Current as of March 17, 2011, 0600 EDT (enformable.com)
- March 17th 2011- All the Troublesome Reactor Venting and How to Prevent It (enformable.com)
- March 15th 2011 – Unclear Fires At Reactor 4 SFP (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC circulating requests for former BWR operators (enformable.com)
- Cooling System for Reactor 4 Spent Fuel Pool Leaking – Covered with Plastic (enformable.com)