From: Jackson, Donald
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:40 PM
To: Dean, Bill; Lew, David; Wilson, Peter; Roberts, Darrell; Collins, Daniel; Lorson, Raymond; Baker, Pamela; Walker, Tracy; Clifford, James; Miller, Chris; Weerakkody, Sunil
Cc: Screnci, Diane; Sheehan, Neil; Trapp, James; McNamara, Nancy; Tifft, Doug; Hansell, Samuel; Hinson, Felicia; McKinley, Raymond; Rogge, John; Jackson, Donald; Cook, William
Subject: March 20, 2011- 2000- CA Briefing On Japan Reactor Accidents
The following is a synopsis of the briefing with changes or noteworthy items underlined:
Status of Fukushima Daiichi Units:
Unit 1 – No Significant Change
Unit 2 – TEPCO has offsite power to an aux transformer- Working to restore control room envelope and ventilation, and switchgear/pumps/etc
Primary Containment intact as RCS is at a positive pressure
Unit 3- No Significant Change – External seawater spray applied most of day
Unit 4- No Significant Change – Water sprayed on SFP up to 4 times today, now this is TEPCO hiqhest priority
Unit 5 and Unit 6- Both have AC Power
Unit 5 and Unit 6 SFPs Being Positively Cooled
Bechtel spray system still in Perth, Australia to leave at 11 pm EDT. Sinqle train to still be shipped to Japan today with 2 techs, unsure if TEPCO will use it.
The band of elevated dose rates up to 18 mi from plant to the northwest seems to coincide with the only time wind was blowing in that direction being when the “lube oil fire” occurred on Unit 4 when we thought a H2 detonation and SFP fire occurred.
In country team is reported to be frustrated with the lack of information and cooperation that they are receiving 1-131 reported in milk, spinach, and tap water near Tokyo, team is trying to confirm NRC priority is still to continue dose assessment with the minimal. information, and get our own information for confirmation.
More at 0730 Monday from the NEW RDO. ….Mr. John Rogge..
Detailed info in attachment!
Chief- Region I DRP PB5
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Units Degrading – Zirconium Fire at Reactor 4 SFP – Reactor 2 Possible Reactor Vessel Breach & Ex-Vessel Core Reaction (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – All 3 Reactors have known fuel damage – 50 Staff on site – 5 may have received fatal radiation doses (enformable.com)
- March 27th, 2011 – Your Career likely over (enformable.com)
- April 2nd, 2011 – Reactor 1 uncontrolled depressurization/leak – Dose rate of 27 R/hr found – Radiation Level at Reactor 2 measured over 100 R/hr (enformable.com)
- April 6th, 2011 – Japan just said there was a zirc fire in Unit 4 SFP. Did we know this? – Depends what is meant by “know.” (enformable.com)
- NRC “Talking Points” – Current as of March 17, 2011, 0600 EDT (enformable.com)
- March 21st, 2011 – Clarification and assessment of potential radiological release source terms for Fukushima Units 3&4 spent fuel pools (enformable.com)
- Unknown Reactor Trip at Robinson Nuclear Power Plant – Unit in Hot Standby (enformable.com)
- April 19th, 2011 – The issue of reimbursement for NRC activities is still an issue and the Japanese are invoking the IAEA charter as a basis for no reimbursement (enformable.com)
- March 14, 2011, 11:30pm Japan Nuclear Facility Updates – Unit 2 Ex Vessel Fuel Damage – Substantial Debris in Unit 3 SFP (enformable.com)