Above all, Marcoule shows the danger of nuclear waste.
There is no reactor on site at Marcoule – but nevertheless an explosion took place next to a furnace in a nuclear waste storage facility.
This clearly demonstrates the hazards associated with nuclear waste.
Indeed, a number of apparently ‘routine’ accidents have already affected the UK nuclear industry this year.
Earlier this year a leaked document showed that at least three incidents at nuclear facilities at Sellafield, Torness and Hartlepool had to be reported to ministers in the UK in the first quarter of the year alone.
How many more incidents will there be before the government reconsiders its plans for new nuclear power stations?
[pullquote_right]Marcoule clearly highlights the ongoing dangers of nuclear waste and the absolute irresponsibility of creating any more.[/pullquote_right]
We already have a large legacy of dangerously radioactive nuclear waste.
Recent estimates indicate that the UK has over 5 million cubic metres of it. Some of this will remain fatally toxic for hundreds of thousands of years and there is still no long-term solution for what to do with it.
Without doubt today’s explosion is a further wake-up call to the government – should they need one following the Fukushima disaster.
There is no situation in which they can guarantee the safety of nuclear power or nuclear waste. But will they heed the call?
- Worrys about Marcoule Plutonium Generator Explosion in France (enformable.com)
- Message to Japan and United States – Mongolian President bans external talks on nuclear waste storage plans (enformable.com)
- More on Accident at Marcoule Nuclear Waste Processing Site in France: Furnace Had Many Problems Before (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Breaking News: Explosion at Marcoule Nuclear Station in France Kills One and Wounds 3 More (enformable.com)
- Areva in financial crisis forced to suspend uranium production at Malvesi and Tricastin for at least 2 months (enformable.com)
- A Furnace Exploded at French Nuke Processing Facility, 1 Killed, 4 Injured, No Leak (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Storing Nuclear Waste is Nightmare as Japan Prepares for Its First Import of Radioactive Waste Since Fukushima Nuclear Disaster (enformable.com)
- France Nuclear Plant Explosion: Marcoule Plant Rocked By Blast (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Blast at French nuclear site kills one (edition.cnn.com)
- BREAKING NEWS: Nimes, France: NEWCLEAR PLANT ROCKED BY EXPLOSION: Media Reports (lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com)