Xcel discovered the problem during testing and reported it to the NRC on Sept. 2.
The piping supplies water from the Mississippi River to the sprinkler system in case of a fire in the building.
Xcel says it assigned a staff member to constantly monitor the intake structure and is using an alternate line for sprinkler system water. The company also is cleaning the sprinkler system piping and expects to restore the system to service by the end of this week.
- NRC – Dominion Meeting – Sept. 8: To Discuss Ongoing Post-Earthquake Actions at North Anna Nuclear Power Station (enformable.com)
- Earthquake Rocked North Anna: Twice What Nuclear Plant Designed to Withstand (enformable.com)
- NRC rejects quick restart at North Anna nuclear plant (enformable.com)
- Quake puts nuclear power plant safety on shaky ground in United States (enformable.com)
- Entergy and State of Vermont face off over Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- NRC to increase inspections at Perry Nuclear Power Plant in Ohio after 4 workers exposed to radiation (enformable.com)
- Earthquake caused crack in containment building for North Anna Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- NRC Admits Problems At Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant Then Approves Re-licensing Then Cites Plant For Safety Problems (enformable.com)
- NRC – Dominion – Overview of North Anna Nuclear Power Plant Earthquake Response and Restart Readiness Demonstration Plan (enformable.com)
- NRC fails to change groundwater protection rules for nuclear plants despite recent tritium leaks and lax inspections (enformable.com)