The federal government forces industries to spend enormous amounts of money to keep the public safe, both from flaws in products and manufacturing processes. But a situation related to the earthquake earlier this month should prompt Americans to wonder whether too much emphasis is on protecting us from problems in the past – while not enough is about serious danger in the future.
NRC inspectors already have visited some nuclear power plants to ensure they did not suffer significant damage from the earthquake. But additional inspectors were being sent to the North Anna power plant near Richmond, Va., last week, after the company’s owner made a disturbing discovery.
Dominion Power told the NRC its analysis indicated the strength of tremors caused by the 5.8-magnitude earthquake may have exceeded what the North Anna plant was designed to handle.
But while this region of the country seldom is shaken by earthquakes, the potential for them is as real as the Davis-Besse nuclear plant near Oak Harbor.
Dominion’s notice to the NRC raises questions about whether federal guidelines are adequate to protect the public, should an even stronger earthquake occur. Those questions need to be answered by the NRC immediately.
- Earthquake caused crack in containment building for North Anna Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- North Anna nuclear plant starts construction of 3rd Reactor Despite Not Receiving License and Current Increased Inspections (enformable.com)
- Cause of shutdown at North Anna nuclear plant sought – Post Earthquake Tour of Nuclear Power Station (enformable.com)
- North Anna Nuke Plant: Quake May Have Exceeded Nuclear Plant’s Safety Specs (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- NRC ramps up inspection at Va. nuclear plant; earthquake may have exceeded plant’s design base – Signs That Utilities Knew Of Shortfall (enformable.com)
- Increased Nuclear Risk After March Disaster – 14 New potential active faults near Nuclear Power Plants (enformable.com)
- Germany stands strong as beacon of energy hope – Nation rules out nuclear for backup power (enformable.com)
- Multiple Reports: Black smoke seen rising from North Anna nuclear plant after Virginia quake (enformable.com)
- NRC to increase inspections at Perry Nuclear Power Plant in Ohio after 4 workers exposed to radiation (enformable.com)
- “Scratch Plates” at North Anna Record Critical Earthquake Data – Despite North Anna Being Taken Off Grid Customers Face No Energy Shortages (enformable.com)