Reports from the Field ◆ Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station ◆
Footage shot at the No. 1 reactor showed work to cover the reactor building to reduce the release of radioactive substances. A panel of 20 square meters was being lifted with a crane. TEPCO says 8 of the 18 panels needed to cover the entire building had been installed as of Tuesday.
Footage taken at the No. 3 reactor showed workers manually adjusting the volume of water to be injected in order to cool the reactor. Earlier this month, TEPCO began boosting water injection to lower the temperature of the reactor to below 100 degrees Celsius.
The video also showed workers learning how to use dosimeters and how to put on full face masks at a training session.
The company said it is becoming more important to train workers as operations to bring the plant under control proceed. It added that it hopes the images will convey the atmosphere at the site.
- Status of Fukushima Daiichi (as of September 20) – Temp Worker knocks filter off mask – no internal contamination found (enformable.com)
- All 6 Fukushima Daiichi Reactors and Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant’s likely to be decomissioned (enformable.com)
- TEPCO Official – Pressure and Temperatures inside of Reactor 1 at Fukushima Daiichi exceeded Design Basis (enformable.com)
- Video of Tokyo Gathering Against Nuclear Power (enformable.com)
- Residents furious over 60-page application, 160-page manual for TEPCO compensation (enformable.com)
- TEPCO to release interim report on Fukushima nuclear accident in November (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Dust Sampling at the Opening of Reactor Building of Unit 3 (enformable.com)
- Hosono pledges to achieve mysterious “cold shutdown” by year-end (enformable.com)
- Cold Shutdown by January? – Reactor Temperatures Still Trouble Workers At Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- Japanese Minister Hosono in charge of Fukushima asks United States and France to aid scrapping reactors (enformable.com)