From: Gibson, Kathy
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 5:51 PM
To: Lee, Richard
Cc: Voglewede, John
Subject: Re: Press Release: NRC Continues to Track Earthquake and Tsunami Issues
That doesn’t sound good. I really feel for them and all they are dealing with.
–O-ri-gin-al Message —–
From: Lee, Richard
To: Gibson, Kathy
Cc: Voglewede, John
Sent: Fri Mar 11 17:48:34 2011
Subject: RE: Press Release: NRC Continues to Track Earthquake and Tsunami Issues
Dr. Akihide Hidaka (the Japanese researcher who is participating in our peer review of the revised NUREG-1465 for HBU and MOX fuel) told me that at the Fukushima No. 1 NPP, the fuel could have been broken because iodine concentration in air began to be increased at the site boundary.
Containment Venting is imminent.
I am not sure what he meant by “broken.” I asked him whether the dose at the site boundaries are within regulatory limits. I have not received any answers yet.
Akihide is on loan to the Japanese Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC) from JAEA. Last night, all NSC staff slept in the office because all transportation in Toyko was shutdown.
- March 19th, 2011 – The NRC gave Michael Scott KI to go to Japan – He probably won’t each much in the way of green leafy veggies while over there. (enformable.com)
- March 16th 2011 – NRC Admits Zirc Fire Is Possible – But Won’t Release All the Research Data (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Assessing SFP Damage – SOARCA – Uncovered Spent Fuel Reports – Leak at Unit 4 SFP (enformable.com)
- NRC Response to Events at Fukushima Reactor Site, Japan – As of March 24, 2011 (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Classified as OUO documents – BWR zirc fire data (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC 23:15 Telecon Fukushima – Reactor 2 containment pressure almost double of design basis (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Power Plants and Earthquakes (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Premonitions of North Anna EQ – Why does the NRC have confidence that an eq greater than DB cannot occur in the US (enformable.com)