From: Richards, Stuart
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 6:12 PM
To: Hogan, Rosemary; Graves, Herman; Kammerer, Annie; Murphy, Andrew
Cc: Case, Michael; Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: Follow-up to the Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami
Brian wants us to be prepared to answer questions on the earthquake/tsunami, particularly as it is related to US plants.
– Was the ground motion at the Japanese sites beyond their design basis?
– Why do we have confidence that US nuclear power plants are adequately designed for earthquakes and tsunamis?
– If the earthquake in Japan was a larger magnitude than considered by plant design, why can’t the same thing happen in the US?
– What would be the results of a tsunami generated off the coast of a US plant? (Or why are we confident that large tsunamis will not occur relatively close to US shores?)
Mike will likely get additional guidance on Monday morning.
- NRC not ready to allow restart of North Anna after earthquake – No restart plan given (enformable.com)
- NRC Response to Events at Fukushima Reactor Site, Japan – As of March 24, 2011 (enformable.com)
- NRC ramps up inspection at Va. nuclear plant; earthquake may have exceeded plant’s design base – Signs That Utilities Knew Of Shortfall (enformable.com)
- Masashi Goto – Nuclear Reactor Designer teams up with ex-Hitachi Engineer Tanaka – PCV/RPV pipes broke after EQ not IC shutdown (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 – JNES to NRC – We feel we grasp well the situation – In case we will need further expertise, we will let you know (enformable.com)
- March 27th, 2011 – UPDATE from 2000 Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi Events (enformable.com)
- NRC High Importance Notice Responding To Fukushima Disaster on March 11th (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)