From: Westreich, Barry
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 21 11:51 AM
To: Ruland, William
Cc: Brown, Frederick; Franovich, Rani; Kobetz, Timothy; Thorp, John; McHale, John; Shoop,
Undine; Klett, Audrey; Elliott, Robert; Meighan, Sean
Subject: DIRS work Impacted by Japan event response
As requested, below is a consolidated list of DIRS activities that have been impacted by support for the Japan
Operating Experience Branch
Items that are being delayed:
1. Delayed preparations for an upcoming June WGOE-WGIP workshop,
2. OpE analysis activities have been delayed or slowed, especially in looking for trends and patterns. Particularly the study on (a) ineffective use of Vendor technical recommendations/information and (b) a study on operating experience insights on corrective actions — prioritization/timeliness of response to longstanding/repetitive issues (roof leaks, etc.). The analysis team has been trying to put the finishing touches on the vendor recommendations study. It is close to being completed. The corrective action study requires more work and includes efforts by analysis team staff.
3. Staff work on two proposed OpE Smart Samples (OpESSs) have been put on hold due to the Japan crisis.
4. Some lower priority staff work has been slowed, but not yet to the point of jeopardizing its completion. This includes one IN development task and some other work activities (i.e., support for an inspector training module development).
Operator Licensinq Branch
(IOLB and IRIB) had just started working with NSIR on a TI for aircraft impact [50.54(hh)(1)]. This effort will involve the HOOs, and although we’re just getting started and are doing some preliminary work on our own, The Japan events will likely interfere with participation by NSIR folks.
Performance Assessment Branch
1. There may be a delay in submitting the security re-integration Vote SECY.
2. There will be a delay in submitting the Public Radiation Safety Cornerstone Enhancement Vote SECY (assuming it is still needed), the Metric Report, and the consolidated response to the CY 2010 internal survey.
3. There will be a delay in issuing IMC 0609 revisions and in closing a number of feedback forms.
Reactor Inspection Branch
1. The ROP realignment
2. IRIB will not be sending out revisions to IMCs and IPs for regional for review and comment
3. Update to IMC-0620 is being delayed.
4. Delayed revision of IMC-0612 and development of the maintenance rule Reg Guide.
Technical Specification Branch
Currently no Impact
Health Physics and Human Performance Branch
Currently no Impact
- March 17th, 2011 – What you ask for, isn’t always what you get – How the NRC internally communicates about the Freedom of Information Act (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC Was Getting “Realtime” Information From NISA and JNES – Most Recent Information Forwarded to NSIR (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC Asked About Extra Security In Case of Mass Demonstrations at Meetings (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – INPO Issued Highest Level Report to Members – Only In Response to Fukushima (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – NRC creates a script for team in Japan to use when talking with family (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Are you experiencing many quakes?? Are they big ones?? – Yes, and half of them register over 5 on the Richter scale. It’s really a bit unnerving (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Japan Requested US Supply 6 BWR 3 & 4 Experts to Assist in ‘Hour of Need’ at 2 different EOC locations (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Can Anyone Get Tony Some Clothes? We should do whatever we need to do to get this reimbursed asap – He’s In Japan Assisting With Fukushima Efforts (enformable.com)
- March 13th 2011 – Detailed Report of Plant Status At Fukushima Daini As of 2:00 AM March 14th JST (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC Staff are not equipped with enough information to comment or answer questions on the event and should not speculate (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC Radiological Health Physics and Plume Modeling Expert Worked at Fukushima in the 1980s (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC to Chairman BWR Owners Group – Do you have any info?? (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – DORL Looking at licensing actions with sensitivity to potential considerations from the ‘Japanese situation’ (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – What to do with respect to Potassium Iodide for those going to Japan? (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – 4 Units on RCIC – 1 Unit Without AC – Different Unit With Active ECCS Due to High Containment Temperatures or Pressure (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – TEPCO Started Sea Water Injection But Does Not Work Well – All of fuels seem to be uncovered in Unit 2 (enformable.com)