April 1st, 2011 – The Japanese Nuclear Incident: Technical Aspects – for your awareness

Author: No Comments Share:

From: Kock, Andrea
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 2:47 PM
To: Ostendorff, William; Nieh, Ho; Franovich, Mike
Cc: Zorn, Jason
Subject: FYI: CRS draft document on Japanese event – for your awareness
Attachments: CRS Report 110331 Japan reactor v2.pdf

FYI: A report issued by the Congressional research Center on the events in Japan is attached. The report provides basic health physics information in the context of the events in Japan. The report does a good job of relating the risks of the radiation detected to health effects. I think it is a good report for the public and Congress. It does, however, imply that the plutonium in MOX fuel was a concern (but recognizes uranium fuel also produces plutonium), which, as we discussed earlier, is not a concern. The NRC apparently provided substantial comments which improved the quality of the document.

Andrea Kock
Technical Assistant for Materials
Office of Commissioner Ostendorff
301-415-2896

From: Jones, Cynthia
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 4:11 PM
To: Kock, Andrea
Subject: RE: CRS draft document on Japanese event – for your awareness

@ we try…

From: Kock, Andrea
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 2:48 PM
To: Jones, Cynthia
Subject: RE: CRS draft document on Japanese event – for your awareness

Thanks, Cyndi! Pretty good report- I assume because the good HPs at the NRC helped!

Andrea Kock
Technical Assistant for Materials
Office of Commissioner Ostendorff
301-415-2896

From: Jones, Cynthia
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:10 PM
To: Merzke, Daniel
Subject: FW: CRS draft document on Japanese event – for your awareness

Dan- I realize you are out today, but suggest you send this to the Commission TAs for their awareness.

Thanks
Cyndi

From: Jones, Cynthia
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:00 PM
To: Wiggins, Jim; Evans, Michele; Rothschild, Trip; Brenner, Eliot; Hayden, Elizabeth; Leeds, Eric; Boger, Bruce; Uhle,
Jennifer; Sheron, Brian; Droggitis, Spiros; Merzke, Daniel; Virgilio, Martin; Weber, Michael; Burnell, Scott; McDermott,
Brian; Morris, Scott
Subject: CRS draft document on Japanese event – for your awareness

FYI

Last weekend amongst all the other requests, we (PMT and myself) were requested to review and assist the Congressional Research Service (CRS) on their draft document on the Japanese event. I just rec’d a copy from them, for your awareness.

The RST (Rx Safety Team) had no comments, but we had a lot, and I think it showed an improved production in this version. Please share with your staff (I already passed along to RST & PMT).

I expect that CRS will share with Congress shortly.

Cyndi

Fromý Jonathan Medalia [mailto:JMEDALIAdcrs.loc.govl
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 12:01 PM
To: Jones, Cynthia
Subject: RE: your phone message on CRS draft document

I’m updating the report to add an appendix with useful links, and of course have included a couple from NRC. Thanks again for your good work.

Jon

>>> “Jones, Cynthia” 4/1/2011 11:59 AM >>>
Thanks Jon

From: Jonathan Medalia [mailto:JMEDALIAscrs.loc.govl
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:31 PM
To: Jones, Cynthia
Cc: Sun, Casper; LIA06 Hoc; Hoc, PMT12
Subject: Re: your phone message on CRS draft document

Hi Cyndi, Casper, et al.,

Thanks for your comments on my report, Cyndi. I have worked through them and now have the report in good shape.

I’ll be in touch if I have further questions, but for now I think I’m ok. I’ve attached the report. You will notice that I acknowledge assistance from NRC, which I greatly appreciate. I will update the report from time to time, so let me know if you have any thoughts, esp. things to add.

Best,
Jon

Jonathan Medalia, Ph.D.
Specialist in Nuclear Weapons Policy
Congressional Research Service
202-707-7632
jmedaliaOcrs.loc.gov

Previous Article

March 31st, 2011 – More surprises…did not hear about this on the 10:00 call – US Military sending Marines specialized in nuclear emergencies to Fukushima Daiichi

Next Article

September 23, 2011 – Congressional Research Service – Japan-U.S. Relations: Issues for Congress