From: King, Mark Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:49 AM To: Telson, Ross Subject: FYI NRC Says US Plants Are Safe. China’s Xinhua (4/1, Regencia) reports that NRC spokeswoman Viktoria Mitlyng said “that the plants in Illinois, in other states, and the rest of the country are safe,” and have “stringent design requirements to begin with.” She added, “Each nuclear power plant has to be able to withstand natural disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, floods to the highest level that is historically known in that area, plus a certain margin.” So do the Japanese plants.., but since 2007 they have been shown to not have the necessary “certain margin”.., in one case (2007 earthquake event) it resulted in a 7- unit multi-year unit shutdown (with some plants experiencing g forces 5 times greater than predicted; 3 of the 7 units are still shutdown but luckily few direct safety issues came out of that event). And in this most recent case the “certain margin” was also vastly exceeded – plants were designed apparently for a 5.6 meter tsunami… but apparently had a 14.5 meter tsunami at the site. Only off by a factor of….- 2.6 ! Hopefully our “certain margins” for flooding / earthquakes, etc. … are better figured in the US. What do you think? It always concerned me that Japan and China were building nuclear units in some of the most earthquake (and resulting tsunami induced) prone areas of the world.
- March 15th, 2011 – Congressional Research Service – Fukushima Nuclear Crisis (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – Six US Nuclear Power Plants under intensive review after Fukushima – Why these six? (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – Risk versus Concern – Public Health Messaging of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Incident (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – TESTIMONY OF MARTIN VIRGILIO – NRC RESPONSE TO RECENT NUCLEAR EVENTS IN JAPAN AND THE CONTINUING SAFETY OF THE U.S. COMMERCIAL NUCLEAR REACTOR FLEET (enformable.com)
- NRC ramps up inspection at Va. nuclear plant; earthquake may have exceeded plant’s design base – Signs That Utilities Knew Of Shortfall (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Seismic PRAs do not consider damage from earthquake aftershocks – Need to predict the fragility of the plant SSCs following the main shock (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – RE: Why are there no emergency diesels in U.S. nuclear power plants? (enformable.com)