Along with the price, the outlet, run by Cataloghouse Ltd. in Tokyo’s Shinbashi district, displays the cesium level found in the fruit or vegetable.
If the radiation detection device installed in the outlet detects radioactive iodine or cesium in any produce, the figure is displayed next to the produce. The device can detect radiation levels of at least 10 becquerels per kilogram.
The outlet has a special corner where it sells produce from Fukushima Prefecture. The area features 22 fruits and vegetables produced by J-Rap Inc., a group of farmers in Fukushima, and sells rice produced by the group from before the March 11 Great East Japan Earthquake.
Customers are provided with a list of radiation level standards established by various nations. The list includes the figures for the Ukraine, which has established standards much stricter than those in Japan following the Chernobyl accident in 1986. For example, while the radiation levels for fruits and vegetables in Japan are 500 becquerels per kilogram, in the Ukraine the levels are 40 becquerels for vegetables and 70 becquerels for fruits.
- Fukushima Prefecture Bans Wild Mushroom Shipments – Tkahagi and Ibaraki also find contamination (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Disaster Produces World’s Worst Nuclear Sea Contamination Ever – Over 27.1 Peta-Becquerels of Cs-137 entered Pacific Ocean (enformable.com)
- Chernobyl-induced radiation in the Black Sea peaked at about 1,000 becquerels per cubic meter – By contrast, radiation after Fukushima peaked at more than 100,000 becquerels per cubic meter (enformable.com)
- Released Radioactive Cesium Alone From Fukushima Equal to Over 40% of Chernobyl Total Release of All Isotopes (enformable.com)
- Radiation in Fukushima Produce, October 13, 2011 (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- JAEA unveils new cost/benefit analysis software to help local governments project post-decontamination radiation levels instead of doing ‘actual decontamination’ (enformable.com)
- New “Decon” Experiment in Iitate-Mura: Burn Radioactive Soil (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- 8 year old girl has 3,000 disintegrations of radioactive cesium every second (Bq) inside her body (enenews.com)
- TEPCO found to be still fudging tracking Fukushima Daiichi Worker Radiation Exposure Levels (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Still Spiraling Out of Control – Air and Ocean Contamination Likely to Continue While Groundwater Contamination Is Concerning to Experts (enformable.com)