On 14 July 2011, Lithuania Ministry of Energy announced that it plans to sign a contract with GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy as strategic investor by end 2011. Asked about Belarus’ view on Lithuania’s intention to lodge a complaint with the IAEA about Belarus’ choice of the location to build a nuclear power plant, Nikolai Grusha said: “It is pure politics because Lithuania has been given complete answers to all the technical questions.
According to Nikolai Grusha, Lithuania’s current stance on the construction of the Belarusian nuclear station is vulnerable also because the Lithuanian side has already chosen the technology to build its facility. “It will be an alliance of General Electric and Hitachi. The same company that designed and build energy units of the Fukushima type.
This alliance will spare no money to preserve its image after the Fukushima events,” said the official. In his words, it is the cheapest design at present because it is a simplified one.
The so-called boiling water reactor type has multiple disadvantages. Among them is the single-loop system that exposes power equipment to radiation. According to Nikolai Grusha, the design could do with corrections in auxiliary systems and power supply.
Source: Belarusian Telegraph Agency
Visaginas nuclear power plant is a planned nuclear power plant project in Lithuania. It is proposed to be built at the site of the closed Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant which was shut-down on 31 December 2009 in accordance with Lithuania’s accession agreement to the European Union. The two reactors of existing Ignalina plant are currently undergoing a decommissioning process.
- March 14th, 2011 – Status of Fukushima Daiichi and Daini with Supplementary Materials (enformable.com)
- HSCB Bank (UK) and Russia push Bulgaria to Construct Belene Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – Risk versus Concern – Public Health Messaging of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Incident (enformable.com)
- Surry Nuclear Power Plant – Supervisor Access Revoked After Arriving For Duty Over Legal Limit (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi – Liquid leakage in desalting facility for Reactor 4 SFP (occurred on November 8) (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – OpE Nuclear Power Plant Design for Natural Phenomena (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Should we send email to Japanese PARENT members expressing sympathy? We expect significant effects (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Congressional Research Service – Fukushima Nuclear Crisis (enformable.com)