Sent:Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:31 PM
To:Hawkins, Kimberly; Chuang, Tze-Jer; Ma, John; Park, Sunwoo; Patel, Pravin; Tegeler, Bret; Thomas, Brian; Thomas, Vaughn; Valentin, Milton; Vera, Marieliz; Jeng, David; Kazi, Abdul; Xu, Jim; Shams, Mohamed; Chakravorty, Manas
Subject:Japan Earthquake and Fakushima plants seismic design basis
The earthquake that hit Japan last Friday resulted in the ground shift of 8 ft ; i.e., roughly the site PGA of 2.67g. The site experienced a peak ground acceleration that was more than 2.5 times the upgraded PGA capacity of the Fukushima units.
In March 2008 TEPCO upgraded its estimates of likely peak ground acceleration (PGA) for Fukushima to 0.61g, and other operators have adopted the same figure. In October 2008 TEPCO accepted 1.02g PGA as the new seismic design basis for Kashiwazaki Kariwa, following the July 2007 earthquake there. Reportedly, the Fukushima units were upgraded to 1.02 PGA in 2009.
By comparison, the certified designs of new reactors in the US are based on PGA of 0.3g.
- March 15th, 2011 – Plant Seismic information to Support NRC Hearing on Wednesday (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Japanese Earthquake Questions (enformable.com)
- March 15th 2011 – Table of BWR’s Mark I (enformable.com)
- North Anna Unit 3 Permit – EQ Reveals Major Design Deficiency that has Safety Implications (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – People might start asking about designs & start to obstruct renewal processes (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Hard time believing US sending water – Hope operators good at improvising (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Information more significant than official reports out (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Is there a way to reimburse my contract dollars from an agency fund related to emergencies? (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – I hope you slept well – you have bigger fish to fry (e.g., Reactors in Japan). (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – Everyone in NRC is getting their emails FOIA’ed by AP – This should be fun (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Unit 1 not able to get to cold shutdown (enformable.com)
- March 21st, 2011 – Some questions have come up regarding the integrity of the SFP liner (enformable.com)