From: Case, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:39 AM
To: Csontos, Aladar; Richards, Stuart
Cc: Stevens, Gary
Subject: RE: BWR Mark 1 Containment Issue – Torus
Yes, that would be nice.
— O-r-ig-in al Message —–
From: Csontos, Aladar
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:46 PM
To: Case, Michael; Richards, Stuart
Cc: Stevens, Gary
Subject: BWR Mark 1 Containment Issue – Torus
Just need to inform you about potential issues that are starting to make it in the press on the Mark 1 containment.
1) Mark 1 had design issues back in the 80’s that led to lawsuits by licensees and
2) torus corrosion questions regarding reduced stress margins led a contenious debate with ACRS over the Oyster Creek license renewal and others.
Both have tons of publically available reports that may come up while the Japan issues get sorted out especially regarding our 23 Mark 1 BWRs.
Gary briefed me about this before the press rediscovered the issues. If you want a brief tomorrow am, just let me know.
- March 23, 2011 – NRC Decides 20 and 30 Year Old Predictions of Stress Corrosion Cracking and Crack Growth Rate Need Careful Examination (enformable.com)
- March 25th, 2011- Issues with seawater in a BWR – Crack growth rate found to be 30 times higher than KAPL paper (enformable.com)
- Important – Keep language professional, objective, avoid use of extreme opinion,careless hyperbole (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Don’t know if Japan added hardened vent but I’m sure they are well aware of it (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC to Chairman BWR Owners Group – Do you have any info?? (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Japan Requested US Supply 6 BWR 3 & 4 Experts to Assist in ‘Hour of Need’ at 2 different EOC locations (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC circulating requests for former BWR operators (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 – NRC folks following this issue outside of the Op center can’t really tell what is going on – GEH had over 70 employees onsite at the time of the quake (enformable.com)