From: Gibson, Kathy
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:46 PM
To: Sheron, Brian
Cc: Uhle, Jennifer
Subject: Re: MACCS run
It is being run beyond 50, sorry I should have said beyond. There are apparently difficulties because Nate Bixler is away teaching a MACCS class and there are questions about whether we have an appropriate spent fuel model (our models were high density and these are low density pools).
However Charlie and Randy Gauntt are working it. Randy is clear we need something tomorrow and I passed on to Charlie and him Jennifer’s specifications for the runs (3 reactors + 3 pools, and 3 reactors + 6 pools over 4 days).
I saw on the news that they tried dropping water from helicopters but because they were so high up they only hit the target once. But they are bringing 11 water-cannon truck to the site. Also 180 staff are working rotating shifts.
Also, Jennifer, it doesn’t appear that Jason talked to Sandia or Richard today. We called Jason but were unable to contact him tonight, so I will check in the morning.
From: Sheron, Brian
To: Gibson, Kathy
Cc: Uhle, Jennifer
Sent: Wed Mar 16 21:21:06 2011
Subject: RE: MACCS run
Why are we only running it out to 50 miles. I was told Rascal calculates out to 50 miles and they already ran the RASCAL analysis in the IRC. I would think we would want to run MACCS out to further distances to see what the projected doses are and whether our (U.S.) recommendation that U.S. citizens in Japan evacuate out to 50 miles remains vali, or if we should increase the recommended evacuation zone.
Sent:Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:10 PM
Sandia is doing a MACCS run out to 50 miles at Jennifer’s request. Charlie is on the phone with Sandia to ensure they are using the “right” source term considering multiple reactors and spent fuel pools.
- March 25th, 2011 – Can we predict a tsunami wave height? – Are the models valid? (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Assessing SFP Damage – SOARCA – Uncovered Spent Fuel Reports – Leak at Unit 4 SFP (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Ops Center tasked to compare some of the dose assessment results on the Japanese plants to Chernobyl (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Is there a way to reimburse my contract dollars from an agency fund related to emergencies? (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Japanese Earthquake Questions (enformable.com)
- March 16th 2011 – NRC Admits Zirc Fire Is Possible – But Won’t Release All the Research Data (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – I hope you slept well – you have bigger fish to fry (e.g., Reactors in Japan). (enformable.com)
- Japan Orders TEPCO to Revise Road Map (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Classified as OUO documents – BWR zirc fire data (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – TEPCO fail on info-sharing / No N-crisis HQ for 4 days after tsunami disabled reactor cooling system (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Thank you for the information – See you at the TEPCO building lobby (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011- Benjamin Beasley – Edits to NBC FOIA GI-199 Request (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Prefecture to Recieves 700 Initial Radiation Meters – Gov’t aims to loan 6,000 dosimeters by Feb (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 Delay of Reactor Cooling Rulemaking due to all cognizant NRR/DSS staff occupied responding to events in Japan (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Response Program-Event/Response (enformable.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – I am trying to understand the information you sent Andrea on Friday, 3/25 regarding staff who are working on the Japan event (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – A good qualitative idea of the types of doses such releases can be expected to deliver (enformable.com)