Sent:Thursday, March 24,2011 6:04 PM
Cc:NRRDRA_AADB Distribution; NRRDRAAFPB Distribution; NRR_DRAAPLA Distribution; NRRDRAAPOB Distribution; NRR_DRA_DO Distribution
Subject:FW: Regulatory Response
Attachments: Regulatory path forward-3-23.docx
All – Please note that the attached is a very early and preliminary working copy of some potential regulatory response given the events in Japan (compiled by Barry Westreich and Tim Collins who were tasked by the LT to come up with such a list). Note the many DRA items in the attached – looks like we could be busy.
This e-mail is mostly a FYI at this point, but if you have comments or suggestions, please provide them to Sam or I (because of the large number of people on this distribution, please do not “reply all”). Comments could include additional items we should consider (e.g., maybe considering combination scenarios and multi-unit sites in external events PRAs), or items which you think may be over-reactions.
Note that the “Senior Level Task Force” mentioned below right now consists of Charlie Miller as lead, Jack Grobe, Gary Holahan, and Nathan Sanfilipo. I am guessing that others will be asked to support.
From: Westreich, Barry \kCV’-
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:07 AM
To: McGinty, Tim; Blount, Tom; Quay, Theodore; Galloway, Melanie; Holian, Brian; Lund, Louise; Nelson, Robert; Giitter, Joseph; Howe, Allen; Brown, Frederick; Cheok, Michael; Ruland, William; Bahadur, Sher; Lubinski, John; Hiland, Patrick; Skeen, David; Lee, Samuel; Thomas, Brian
Cc: Boger, Bruce; Grobe, Jack; Collins, Timothy; Leeds, Eric
Subject: Regulatory Response
Attached is a table of our preliminary thoughts related to the Regulatory Response following the events in Japan. I have been working with Tim Collins to identify potential areas that may need evaluation, current requirements or initiatives in the identified area, technical points of contact, and priority of the issues.
We plan to discuss this effort at the next LT meeting on March 29, 2011. As I indicated, this is a preliminary list and as a result, I would appreciate your review and insights into additional areas that should be included. I would also appreciate identification of POCs for the identified areas.
We plan to coordinate this effort with the newly establish Senior Level Task Force reviewing NRC processes.
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Barry Westreich (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – The NRC Thought The Best Response After Fukushima Was to Verify What Licensees Were Already Required To Do (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Can Anyone Get Tony Some Clothes? We should do whatever we need to do to get this reimbursed asap – He’s In Japan Assisting With Fukushima Efforts (enformable.com)
- March 17th, 2011 – What you ask for, isn’t always what you get – How the NRC internally communicates about the Freedom of Information Act (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – TESTIMONY OF MARTIN VIRGILIO – NRC RESPONSE TO RECENT NUCLEAR EVENTS IN JAPAN AND THE CONTINUING SAFETY OF THE U.S. COMMERCIAL NUCLEAR REACTOR FLEET (enformable.com)
- April 6th, 2011 – Japan just said there was a zirc fire in Unit 4 SFP. Did we know this? – Depends what is meant by “know.” (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – NRC creates a script for team in Japan to use when talking with family (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Safety: The Story So Far – Did NRC Bury Critical Reports? (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Samuel Miranda (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Anthony Mendiola (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Premonitions of North Anna EQ – Why does the NRC have confidence that an eq greater than DB cannot occur in the US (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Gerard Purciarello (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Melanie Galloway (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – What to do with respect to Potassium Iodide for those going to Japan? (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Patrick Hiland (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – DORL Looking at licensing actions with sensitivity to potential considerations from the ‘Japanese situation’ (enformable.com)
- March 13th 2011 – Detailed Report of Plant Status At Fukushima Daini As of 2:00 AM March 14th JST (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to What We Are Not Getting Done – Joseph G. Glitter (enformable.com)