From: Scott, Michael
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:08 AM
To: ‘[email protected]’
Subject: FW: Potential support for access to damaged cores
Another item for industry. Can you help by providing an “expert” on TMI melted fuel removal techniques to consult with the Japanese task team addressing the subject?
From: RST06 Hoc
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:48 AM
To: Scott, Michael; RST01 Hoc
Cc: Wiggins, Jim
Subject: Potential support for access to damaged cores
I discussed with Jim Wiggins (on-shift ET Director) the question you raised on our phone call, concerning whether NRC has any expertise to assist the Japanese in determining the potential for accessing the damaged cores in Fukushima 1-3.
The NRC was not involved in the work to clean up and remove the damaged core at TMI 2. We believe that DOE may have been involved, but the licensee used a commercial contractor to plan and perform the work.
We both agree that the best source of support for the Japanese on this issue would be to work through the industry consortium. It would seem the best thing for TEPCO to do would be to develop a commercial contract, and the industry consortium is in the best position to advise them on this issue.
Hope this helps.
Please let me know if we can be of further support.
On-shift RST Director
- March 27th, 2011 – NRC, GE, EPRI, INPO, Naval Reactors, and DOE Fukushima Severe Accident Management Measures (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Thank you for the information – See you at the TEPCO building lobby (enformable.com)
- Important – Keep language professional, objective, avoid use of extreme opinion,careless hyperbole (enformable.com)
- March 29th, 2011 – Has TEPCO-NISA determined extent of damage to floors around spent fuel pool? (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – UPDATE from 0830 Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi Events (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC 23:15 Telecon Fukushima – Reactor 2 containment pressure almost double of design basis (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Plant Seismic information to Support NRC Hearing on Wednesday (enformable.com)
- March 12th 2011 12:52 PM FOAI Communication – Reactor 1 Water level was known to be below top of active fuel (enformable.com)
- Post-Fukushima, Japanese Official sees crisis as war between humans and technology (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – All Exelon sites enhancing offsite monitoring after TMI detects Fukushima radiation (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – I hope you slept well – you have bigger fish to fry (e.g., Reactors in Japan). (enformable.com)
- Japan Orders TEPCO to Revise Road Map (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Now that you’ve returned from Japan, would you meet with us? (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Status of Fukushima Daiichi and Daini with Supplementary Materials (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC speaker at RIC claimed that Japanese plants are more seismically robust than US plants (enformable.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – I am trying to understand the information you sent Andrea on Friday, 3/25 regarding staff who are working on the Japan event (enformable.com)