From: Franovich, Mike
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:02 PM
To: Ostendorff, William
Cc: Nieh, Ho; Kock, Andrea; Zorn, Jason
Subject: More surprises…did not hear about this on the 10:00 call
US to send emergency response unit to Japan
The US military is sending Marines specialized in responding to nuclear emergencies to Japan to help deal with the trouble at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
Japan’s Self-Defense Force Joint Chief of Staff Ryoichi Oriki announced the measure on Thursday.
Oriki said US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has approved the sending of the 140-member Chemical Biological Incident Response Force.
The unit is trained in search-and-rescue operations and clearing highly radioactive nuclear materials.
Oriki said the unit will not necessarily take immediate action, and that the Self-Defense Forces hope to share information with them and study how it can be put into use when needed.
The US military has provided a barge capable of carrying large volumes of fresh water to keep reactors at the plant cool. It has also sent nuclear experts to Japan as part of efforts to resolve the crisis.
Thursday, March 31, 2011 19:36 +0900 (JST)
Technical Assistant for Reactors
Office of Commissioner Ostendorff
- March 30th, 2011 – Using Catawba and Browns Ferry MOX safety evaluation reports (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – Six US Nuclear Power Plants under intensive review after Fukushima – Why these six? (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – Risk versus Concern – Public Health Messaging of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Incident (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – We may get inquiries after recent stories of radioactive traces in milk – direct to links (enformable.com)
- June 2011 – Fukushima Nuclear Complex Severe Accident Worker Dose Management (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Indications of Breach of Containment at Reactor 2 (enformable.com)
- Over 4,000 electronic dosimeters destroyed by Tsunami at Fukushima Daiichi leaving only 500 (enformable.com)
- March 29th, 2011 – Has TEPCO-NISA determined extent of damage to floors around spent fuel pool? (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Now that you’ve returned from Japan, would you meet with us? (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Do we have someone who can address technical comments? (enformable.com)