Fukushima Daiichi: My trip inside Japan’s Dead Zone
…As we drove deeper into the no-entry zone, curving past beautiful and empty homes with tile roofs, the numbers on our dosimeter started to soar well beyond the safe-guideline level.3.41 uSv/hr.
We were about eight or nine miles from the nuclear plant, I’d guess, with thick trees on both sides. The rancher, Masami Yoshizawa, placed the dosimeter on the ground. We waited for new numbers to flash.
That’s 2.5 times the level at the front gate of the nuclear plant.
Stand in that spot for a year, and you’d be exposed to almost 625,000 uSv–36 times the annual maximum.
[quote]Yoshizawa makes daily trips into this no-entry zone, tending to the contaminated cattle that the government wants him to euthanize. Taking care of the animals has become his mission, and he’s willing to take a health risk. Plus, he’s 57, and his boss, Jun Murata, acknowledged that the ranchers’ lifestyle was less than healthy.
“We smoke and drink all the time,’’ Murata said. “Even if we would develop cancer, we wouldn’t know whether it came from radiation or smoking too much.”
Yoshizawa had his body tested for radiation in July, and a doctor told him his levels were on the “high end.” But Yoshizawa didn’t change his daily routine.
Source: Washington Post
- Gallery of Damage to Fukushima Daiich Reactor 1-4 (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Timelines from TEPCO and NISA press releases (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Radioactive Steam Could Be Released From Fukushima Daiichi After NRC Knew Temperature in Reactor 1 Fuel Rods Up 50% Above Normal Levels (enformable.com)
- NHK, Tepco finally confirm steam came up from underground at Reactor No. 1 – Now 4.7 Sieverts per hour, almost 20% more than in June (enenews.com)
- Over 4,000 electronic dosimeters destroyed by Tsunami at Fukushima Daiichi leaving only 500 (enformable.com)
- Kyodo: 57.7 µSv/hr was at “place where children always played” – Residents “deeply concerned” near Tokyo (enenews.com)
- “Just the tip of the iceberg”: Van emitting 110 uSv/hr – Ended up 370 miles from Fukushima in Kobe – “Dangerously radioactive” vehicles must be resold within Japan (enenews.com)
- Updated High radiation dose readings marked in spots in Tokyo, Chiba – Up to 3.35 uSv/hr – Decontamination Attempts with Water and Other Methods Show Little Improvement (enformable.com)
- Radiation research suggested as way to keep released livestock near Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant alive (enformable.com)
- 6 uSv/h outside busy shopping mall in Tokyo suburb of Kashiwa (VIDEO) (enenews.com)
- ABC affiliate: “New and amazing things” being uncovered every day at Fukushima nuke plant – “Deadly Easter eggs” generating radiation higher than 10 Sv/hr ” ENENEWS.COM (enformable.com)
- 57.5 uSv/hr of Cesium found in soil – Kashiwa Starts Cleanup After Fukushima Radiation Found (enformable.com)
- Kobe U. Prof: Radiation is concentrating on surface – 23 µSv/hr above dirt in roadside drain far from meltdowns – Can’t decontaminate concrete or asphalt, must remove it all (enenews.com)
- Sources of Radiation Dose from Nuclear Plants (enformable.com)
- Does Japan’s new Fukushima exclusion zone add up? Does singling out villages inside the 19km zone really make sense? (enformable.com)
- NHK reports 57.5 microsieverts per hour detected just 25 km from Tokyo – But is it from Fukushima meltdowns? (enenews.com)
- Highest Yet: 1,600 millisieverts/hr detected at Reactor No. 3 – Radiation coming from floor (VIDEO) (enenews.com)