Ameren Missouri filed an application with theU.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to extend its operating license of the Callaway Energy Center for 20 years.
The power plant’s current 40-year license expires in 2024. The extension would allow the facility to remain operational until 2044.
The plant, which is the state’s only commercial nuclear unit, has one 1,190-megawatt Westinghouse four-loop pressurized water reactor and a General Electric turbine–generator. It is owned by the Ameren Corporation and operated by Ameren Missouri.
In 2001, Callaway set a plant record for capacity utilization, producing 101.1 percent of its rated electrical output, ranking it among the world’s top reactors, according to the Energy Information Administration.
On July 28, 2008, Ameren Missouri submitted an application to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), seeking a Combined Construction and Operating License (COL) for a potential second unit. According to Thomas R. Voss, president and chief executive officer of Ameren Missouri, “Given projections for a nearly 30 percent increase in demand for power in Missouri in the next two decades, we believe we will need to build a large generating plant to be on line in the 2018–2020 timeframe.”
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- NRC’s Jaczko Gives Blessings to “Cold Shutdown State” and “Completion of Step 2” at #Fukushima I Nuke Plant, Says “Tremendous Milestone” (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- NRC email 10 hours after quake: “We all need to say a prayer” – “They are struggling to shut down the plant” in Fukushima (enenews.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – The EPA took RADNet down because they were getting data from ‘other’ sources (enformable.com)
- Southern pushes NRC encouraging new nuclear reactor license at Vogtle issued without waiting period (enformable.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – 3M Information Regarding the Use of Respiratory Protection for Exposures to Airborne Radiation Resulting from the Nuclear Reactor Incident in Japan (enformable.com)
- November 2011 – NRR ACTION PLAN – Buried Piping (enformable.com)
- NRC increasing oversight at Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station (enformable.com)
- Bellefonte Nuclear Station Gets Pulled into NRC Controversy (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – NRC Directions on Continuing Agency Response on Fukushima (enformable.com)
- NRC Approves First Stages of Progress Energy & Duke Energy Merger (enformable.com)
- US Gov’t Video: Fukushima meltdowns a “life changing event” – “Such a tragic cost” (enenews.com)
- Occupy Toledo Makes Surprise Appearance At Monroe Nuclear Power Plant Hearing – Huffington Post (enformable.com)