From: Salay, Michael
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:02 PM
To: Gauntt, Randall 0
Cc: Lee, Richard; Esmaili, Hossein; Marksberry, Don
Subject: integrity of U1 lower head
We need some clarification on your Mathcad analysis of the U1 lower head integrity:
What we think we were hearing on the consortium call for the past few days was that, based on the analysis, vessel integrity would be maintained even if water injection was lost. This seemed to imply that containment flooding was not needed to maintain vessel integrity.
What we interpret from your analysis is that vessel integrity would be maintained even if water injection was lost if containment was flooded and skirt wall is cooled. This indicates that, based on the analysis, containment flooding would still be required to maintain vessel integrity.
We realize that this assumes that a high vessel-to-containment pressure differential does not develop.
Would you please let us know which was intended?
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- April 25th, 2011 – Reactor 1 Seeming Stop of DW Water Level Increase (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Fuel Coolant Interaction Analysis – Worse Case Melt Scenario (enformable.com)
- April 28th, 2011 – Mathcad analysis of Reactor 1 Lower Head Integrity (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Mark 1 containment vulnerable to melt through – SBO (enformable.com)
- Composite Images of Fukushima Daiichi Reactor 1 (enformable.com)
- March 29th, 2011 – Status of 3 Units and 4 pools – Realistic Scenarios (enformable.com)
- April 2nd, 2011 – Estimated 10-30%/daily drywell turnover leakage from failed penetrations – Please delete after reading (enformable.com)
- April 14th, 2011 – Debris in lower head – Lower Head Failure (enformable.com)
- More than 85% of fuel escaped Reactor 1 RPV into Containment (enformable.com)
- Evaluation Status of Reactor Core Damage at Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – Everyone in NRC is getting their emails FOIA’ed by AP – This should be fun (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – Seems water injection to Unit 2 has stopped – Does your team have a better picture? (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – 4 Units on RCIC – 1 Unit Without AC – Different Unit With Active ECCS Due to High Containment Temperatures or Pressure (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Drywell Failure Probability and Pedestal Melt-Through Given Wet Drywell (enformable.com)