No. 11-045 March 12, 2011
NRC EXPERTS DEPLOY TO JAPAN AS PART OF U.S. GOVERNMENT RESPONSE
Two officials from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission with expertise in boiling water nuclear reactors have deployed to Japan as part of a U.S. International Agency for International Development (USAID) team. USAID is the federal government agency primarily responsible for providing assistance to countries recovering from disaster administering.
“We have some of the most expert people in this field in the world working for the NRC and we stand ready to assist in any way possible,” said Chairman Gregory Jaczko.
The NRC has stood up its Maryland-based headquarters Operations Center since the beginning of the emergency in Japan, and is operating on a 24-hour basis.
The NRC will not provide information on the status of that country’s nuclear power plants.
Check the NRC web site or blog for the latest information on NRC actions.
Other sources of information include:
USAID — www.usaid.gov
U.S. Dept. of State — www.state.gov
FEMA — www.fema.gov
White House — www.whitehouse.gov
Nuclear Energy Institute — www.nei.org
International Atomic Energy Agency — www.iaea.org/press/
For background information on generic operations at a boiling-water reactor, including an animated graphic, visit the NRC’s website at www.nrc.gov.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- Nuclear Energy Institute Congratulates Westinghouse on Approval of AP1000 Design – Sacramento Bee (enformable.com)
- Davis Besse Nuclear Station still under scrutiny over cracks and overall plant safety (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC Sees No Harmful Radiation Reaching US From Japan (enformable.com)
- Ameren files for 20 year extension at Callaway Nuclear (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission Reform Commissioners Panel – December 14th and 15th (enformable.com)
- NRC Approves First Stages of Progress Energy & Duke Energy Merger (enformable.com)
- Southern pushes NRC encouraging new nuclear reactor license at Vogtle issued without waiting period (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – NRC Response to Core Damage Accident in Japan (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – Potential NRC Regulatory Response to Events in Japan – DO NOT REPLY ALL (enformable.com)
- NRC finds Oconee Nuclear backup safety system not functional (enformable.com)
- NRC High Importance Notice Responding To Fukushima Disaster on March 11th (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Are we still looking at a possible total meltdown and big release? (enformable.com)
- Gallery of Damage to Fukushima Daiich Reactor 1-4 (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC speaker at RIC claimed that Japanese plants are more seismically robust than US plants (enformable.com)