No. 11-044 March 12, 2011
NRC IN COMMUNICATION WITH JAPANESE REGULATORS
Should the Japanese want to make use of this expertise, NRC staffers with extensive background in boiling-water reactors are available to assist ongoing efforts.
The NRC is coordinating its actions with other Federal agencies as part of the U.S. government response. The NRC is examining all available information as part of the effort to analyze the event and understand its implications both for Japan and the United States. The NRC’s headquarters Operations Center is operating on a 24-hour basis.
U.S. nuclear power plants are built to withstand environmental hazards, including earthquakes and tsunamis. Even those plants that are located outside of areas with extensive seismic activity are designed for safety in the event of such a natural disaster. The NRC requires that safety-significant structures, systems, and components be designed to take into account the most severe natural phenomena historically estimated for the site and surrounding area.
For background information on generic operations at a boiling-water reactor, including an animated graphic, visit the NRC’s website at www.nrc.gov.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC Sees No Harmful Radiation Reaching US From Japan (enformable.com)
- NEI Spends Money Lobbying After Fukushima (enformable.com)
- NRC High Importance Notice Responding To Fukushima Disaster on March 11th (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission Reform Commissioners Panel – December 14th and 15th (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – NRC Response to Core Damage Accident in Japan (enformable.com)
- NRC requires new look at quake risks for reactors after criticism of official response (enformable.com)
- NRC Approves First Stages of Progress Energy & Duke Energy Merger (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)
- NRC set to validate Dominion’s use of ‘unaccepted’ EPRI report to allow North Anna restart (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – Everyone in NRC is getting their emails FOIA’ed by AP – This should be fun (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC speaker at RIC claimed that Japanese plants are more seismically robust than US plants (enformable.com)
- March 17th, 2011 – NGA Center in DC Requests NRC Expert Speaker for 3/22 or 3/23 and 4/4 (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – NRC RIS to licensees on detected Fukushima Radiation (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- NRC finds Oconee Nuclear backup safety system not functional (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – Potential NRC Regulatory Response to Events in Japan – DO NOT REPLY ALL (enformable.com)