From: Casto, Chuck
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 9:21 PM
To: Monninger, John; Nakanishi, Tony; Kolb, Timothy; Foster, Jack; Cook, William; Devercelly,
Richard; Ulses, Anthony; Trapp, James; Smith, Brooke; Foggie, Kirk
Cc: Virgilio, Martin; Borchardt, Bill; LIA10 Hoc
Subject: Travel and thoughts
Folks, i don’t know if and when you might get this email, but here’s some thoughts for our work.
Let me know if you need anything. The Chairman and EDO are fully supporting our needs and they clearly expressed that to me.
We are to support the Ambassador in all ways possible.
My flight may be the last to arrive. Seemingly the logistics from Atlanta are difficult. I am on a flight to Dallas now.
Let’s think about organization of the team. It seems to me that we need a reactor safety team, protective measures, recovery/severe accident, and liaison team.
First we need briefings by Jim and Tony. Then a briefing by the host. Plus we need an operations center or place to work from. I believe that we have some KI but might need more.
Please think about who is on what group, I.e. Team. Then we probably need to reach back to resources in the US. For instance we may want to set up a bridge with general electric, INPO, and other technical groups.
For the protective measures team let’s think about reaching back to DOE/FERMAC for advice.
You get my point. While I don’t know the organizational situation over there, absent any other arrangement, let’s form teams like we would in the US, and reach back to our counterparts, both federal and industry to accomplish our work. I would suggest using the Hoo Liaison team for coordination.
We need to leverage all assets for maximum effect.
John I would suggest that you work with Brooke and Kirk.
Those are merely initial thoughts and suggestions. I know it will likely change immediately upon arrival.
I am anxious to get there and work with this break group and our counterparts back home.
See you soon.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 27th, 2011 – NRC Japan Team – Upon your return, please “reply All” to this email (enformable.com)
- March 14th 2011 – Confirmation of names for Japan (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – NRC Japan Team Reactor Issues Alignment Plan (enformable.com)
- March 21st, 2011 – International Items of Interest – Fukushima (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – UPDATE from 0830 Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi Events (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Thank you for the information – See you at the TEPCO building lobby (enformable.com)
- March 12th 2011 12:52 PM FOAI Communication – Reactor 1 Water level was known to be below top of active fuel (enformable.com)
- April 20th, 2011 – Japan Team Questions – $25k a week for one translator (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – We live in Western (Redacted) I’ve called around and can’t secure KI (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – First status report I have gotten in a while (enformable.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – I am trying to understand the information you sent Andrea on Friday, 3/25 regarding staff who are working on the Japan event (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – Seems water injection to Unit 2 has stopped – Does your team have a better picture? (enformable.com)
- March 29, 2011 – Can you help by providing an “expert” on TMI melted fuel removal techniques? (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – We’ve also heard that plans to dump water on the fire with helicopters was abandoned. (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Patrick Hiland (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – What impact on license renewal? I’m thinking older plants a hard sell (enformable.com)