No. 11-049 March 15, 2011
NRC ANALYSIS CONTINUES TO SUPPORT JAPAN’S PROTECTIVE ACTIONS
NRC analysts overnight continued their review of radiation data related to the damaged Japanese nuclear reactors. The analysts continue to conclude the steps recommend by Japanese authorities parallel those the United States would suggest in a similar situation.
The Japanese authorities Monday recommended evacuation to 20 kilometers around the affected reactors and said that persons out to 30 kilometers should shelter in place.
Those recommendations parallel the protective actions the United States would suggest should dose limits reach 1 rem to the entire body and 5 rem for the thyroid, an organ particularly susceptible to radiation uptake. The currently reported Japanese radiation measurements are well
below these guidelines.
A rem is a measure of radiation dose. The average American is exposed to approximately 620 millirems, or 0.62 rem, of radiation each year from natural and manmade sources.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- Intern at Rhode Island Nuclear Science Center Receives Unplanned 2-3 REM Dose In 5 Minutes – NRC Launches Special Inspection (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC Sees No Harmful Radiation Reaching US From Japan (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – The EPA took RADNet down because they were getting data from ‘other’ sources (enformable.com)
- March 20th, 2011 – Dose Rates 40 REM/hr – TEPCO looking to make bigger hole in U2 (enformable.com)
- Gallery of Damage to Fukushima Daiich Reactor 1-4 (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Timelines from TEPCO and NISA press releases (enformable.com)
- June 30th, 2011 – Update on a Review of REMP Direct Radiation Programs and ANSI N13.37 (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)
- What risk do National Laboratories pose on the public (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – Potential NRC Regulatory Response to Events in Japan – DO NOT REPLY ALL (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Now that you’ve returned from Japan, would you meet with us? (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – NRC Response to Core Damage Accident in Japan (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – NRC RIS to licensees on detected Fukushima Radiation (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Regarding the NRC “Screening Process” – Never hurts to reinforce what’s already been stated (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – We live in Western (Redacted) I’ve called around and can’t secure KI (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Response to what are we not getting done – Patrick Hiland (enformable.com)