Update on actions being taken by the industry in response to the evolving Japanese nuclear emergencies.
From: Leeds, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:27 PM
To: Borchardt, Bill; Virgilio, Martin
Cc: Weber, Michael
Subject: FYI: Industry Efforts
FYI – Please see Bruce’s email below, NRR is considering short term and longer term actions in response to the Japanese event.
We’re considering a measured regulatory response to put an initial footprint on the issue.
Its positive to see the industry get out ahead of it – whatever planning they did based on the BP experience seems to be in play. We will keep you in the loop.
Eric J. Leeds, Director
Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
From: Boger, Bruce
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:04 PM
To: Leeds, Eric; Grobe, Jack; Ruland, William
Cc: Dean, Bill; Lew, David; McCree, Victor; Wert, Leonard; Satorius, Mark; Pederson, Cynthia; Collins, Elmo; Howell, Art;
Virgilio, Martin; Thomas, Eric; Brown, Frederick
Subject: Industry Efforts
I spoke with Randy Edington (CNO Palo Verde) and later with Steve Nichols (INPO) regarding industry actions as a result of the situation in Japan. The CNOs teleconferenced over the weekend and agreed to a series of near-term actions. INPO issued a Level 1 Event Report (highest level) to its members this afternoon.
It identifies 4 actions, with due dates, and requires a written response.
In general, the actions include walkdowns and verifications of aspects of facility capabilities to address B.5.b equipment and procedures, SAMGs, mitigation of SBO conditions, mitigation of internal and external flooding, and fire and flooding events that could be impacted by a concurrent seismic event.
This should help shape the generic communication we’ve been discussing. INPO is figuring out how quickly they will be able to share the report with us.
The report won’t be available to the public, but we can share it internally.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 15th, 2011 – INPO Issued Highest Level Report to Members – Only In Response to Fukushima (enformable.com)
- November 2011 – INPO – Special Report on Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident (enformable.com)
- March 27th, 2011 – NRC, GE, EPRI, INPO, Naval Reactors, and DOE Fukushima Severe Accident Management Measures (enformable.com)
- March 17th, 2011 – INPO Event Report Level 1 regarding the events in Japan (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – They really think people are going to shlep all the way out here for a 20-minute public session ? (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Now that you’ve returned from Japan, would you meet with us? (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – All of fuels seem to be uncovered at Unit 2 – Contrasts MSM Message (enformable.com)
- March 29, 2011 – Can you help by providing an “expert” on TMI melted fuel removal techniques? (enformable.com)
- March 29th, 2011 – Has TEPCO-NISA determined extent of damage to floors around spent fuel pool? (enformable.com)