No. 11-050 March 16, 2011
NRC PROVIDES PROTECTIVE ACTION RECOMMENDATIONS BASED ON U.S. GUIDELINES
Under the guidelines for public safety that would be used in the United States under similar circumstances, the NRC believes it is appropriate for U.S. residents within 50 miles of the Fukushima reactors to evacuate.
Among other things, in the United States protective actions recommendations are implemented when projected doses could exceed 1 rem to the body or 5 rem to the thyroid. A rem is a measure of radiation dose. The average American is exposed to approximately 620 millirems, or 0.62 rem, of radiation each year from natural and manmade sources.
In making protective action recommendations, the NRC takes into account a variety of factors that include weather, wind direction and speed, and the status of the problem at the reactors.
Attached are the results of two sets of computer calculations used to support the NRC recommendations.
In response to nuclear emergencies, the NRC works with other U.S. agencies to monitor radioactive releases and predict their path. All the available information continues to indicate Hawaii, Alaska, the U.S. Territories and the U.S. West Coast are not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity.
News releases are available through a free listserv subscription at the following Web address:
The NRC homepage at ww.vw.nrc.gov also offers a SUBSCRIBE link. E-mail notifications are sent to subscribers when news releases are posted to NRC’s website.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC Sees No Harmful Radiation Reaching US From Japan (enformable.com)
- NRC No. 11-046 March 13, 2011 – NRC SEES NO RADIATION AT HARMFUL LEVELS REACHING U.S. FROM DAMAGED JAPANESE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS (enformable.com)
- Intern at Rhode Island Nuclear Science Center Receives Unplanned 2-3 REM Dose In 5 Minutes – NRC Launches Special Inspection (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – NRC Directions on Continuing Agency Response on Fukushima (enformable.com)
- NEI Spends Money Lobbying After Fukushima (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – 0300 PM Congressional Report – Plus Plant Status (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – Potential NRC Regulatory Response to Events in Japan – DO NOT REPLY ALL (enformable.com)
- NRC High Importance Notice Responding To Fukushima Disaster on March 11th (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Now that you’ve returned from Japan, would you meet with us? (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – Regarding the NRC “Screening Process” – Never hurts to reinforce what’s already been stated (enformable.com)
- April 13th, 2011 – American workers being recruited to work at Fukushima (enformable.com)
- NRC finds Oconee Nuclear backup safety system not functional (enformable.com)