From: Weber, Michael
To: Jaczko, Gregory
Cc: Sheron, Brian; Uhle, Jennifer; RST01 Hoc; O5T02 HOC; LIA05 Hoc; Coggins, Angela; Batkin, Joshua; Virgilio, Martin;
Sent: Thu Mar 17 19:30:50 2011
Subject: FYI – SUMMARY OF TODAY’S MEETING WITH SECRETARY CHU ON WAYS TO ASSIST JAPAN
Good evening, Chairman. Secretary Chu hosted a “brain storming” meeting downtown this afternoon on what steps might be taken to assist Japan authorities in controlling the nuclear power plants at Fukushima-Daiichi and preventing additional releases.
Brian Sheron represented the NRC at the meeting and called me on his return to the office. You may recall that Pete Lyons invited the NRC to participate in the meeting. The meeting lasted a full four hours.
In addition to the Secretary and Dr. Lyons, other participants included Administrator D’Agostino, Director Holdren, Admiral Grossenbacher, John Kelly (DOE-NE), Bob Budnitz, Per Peterson (Blue Ribbon Commission), and others.
The group discussed a number of different topics:
* Problem solving techniques that might be explored like PIRT and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
* Percent of the reactor cores that might be released if the accident progresses, current configuration of the cores, and driving mechanisms for release
* Expected accumulation of salt from the evaporating seawater in the reactors and the coolability of a salten crusted core
* Potential effect of the salt on Cs releases due to the formation of CsCl
* Prophylactic doses of KI and side effects
* NRC seismic design requirements for NPPs in’ý’the United.States
* Possible strategies for getting water in the Spent Fuel Pools, suppressing Zr fuel fires, or for removing the spent fuel from the pools
* Average annual doses to members of the U.S. population and sources
The Secretary stated that he will be interviewed on 5 talk shows this coming Sunday morning, so he was interested in getting background information about several topics. He asked for a one page summary of our seismic design requirements.
Given the tight time constraints, Brian was not sure that we could turn around a summary that fast, so he provided the Secretary with a current copy of draft Q&As on seismic issues that has been prepared by RES, NRR, and other NRC offices.
I will forward to you a copy of these Q&As – they are in draft form and extensive (lOs of pages). Dr. Lyons will document today’s meeting.
Brian got the impression from the Secretary that he may have a similar meeting at some point in the future. Brian did not hear any ideas that sounded feasible that we were not already aware of.
Some of the participants heard ideas that they plan to look into, but it did not sound like there were any specific ideas to pass to our team in Japan at this time.
From: Jaczko, Gregory
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:42 PM
To: Weber, Michael
Subject: Re: FYI – SUMMARY OF TODAY’S MEETING WITH SECRETARY CHU ON WAYS TO ASSIST JAPAN
Thanks mike. You on for the ET now?
From: Weber, Michael
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:45 PM
To: Jaczko, Gregory
Subject: RESPONSE – SUMMARY OF TODAY’S MEETING WITH SECRETARY CHU ON WAYS TO
No, sir. Jack Grobe is on as ET Director now.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 15th, 2011 – I am walking to the 6th floor to get permission to work on this. (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – 0300 PM Congressional Report – Plus Plant Status (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 – NRC EXPERTS DEPLOY TO JAPAN AS PART OF U.S. GOVERNMENT RESPONSE (enformable.com)
- NRC finds Entergy Safety Commitment Track Record Lacking (enformable.com)
- March 24th, 2011 – Ross has concerns – How did TEPCO get 1 or 2 EDG’s back but not others? (enformable.com)
- Jaczko claims small victory after failed coo attempt (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 – NRC IN COMMUNICATION WITH JAPANESE REGULATORS (enformable.com)
- NRC Commissioners Claim Jaczko Intimidator and Bully (enformable.com)
- April 18th, 2011 – NISA/TEPCO Meeting – 778 Workers at Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – NRC internally frustrated by lack of better response to ‘biased (MSNBC) report’ (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC speaker at RIC claimed that Japanese plants are more seismically robust than US plants (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Harold Denton Former NRC Spokesperson during TMI calling all over NRC (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – NRC PROVIDES PROTECTIVE ACTION RECOMMENDATIONS BASED ON U.S. GUIDELINES (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Preliminary unconfirmed confidential information regarding Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- NEI Spends Money Lobbying After Fukushima (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – NRC sends additional experts to assist Japan (enformable.com)
- March 23rd, 2011 – NRC Directions on Continuing Agency Response on Fukushima (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 – NRC Sees No Harmful Radiation Reaching US From Japan (enformable.com)