March 19th, 2011 – Misinformed about outreach to USAID during 1530 conference call

Author: No Comments Share:

From: Castleman, Patrick
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:54 PM
To: Weber, Michael; Orders, William; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys; Marshall, Michael
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC; FOIA Response.hoc Resource; Virgilio, Martin
the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki (OUO Attachments)

Thanks, Mike.

That’s disappointing. I had been hoping to provide the list to my principal in time to support tomorrow morning’s Commission meeting. I think my counterparts in the other offices had similar hopes. Marty Virgilio led the conference call at which this item was briefed, so you might want to check with him–I’m copying him on this message to give him a heads up that you may be checking with him.

Regards, Pat

From: Weber, Michael
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:08 PM
To: Castleman, Patrick; Orders, William; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys; Marshall, Michael
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC; FOIA Response.hoc Resource
(OUO Attachments)

Pat,

I understand your concern. I do not believe that you were misinformed, but there may have been some miscommunication *during the ongoing response. I should know better when I return to shift tomorrow morning.

From: Castleman, Patrick
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC
Sent: Sun Mar 20 09:36:40 2011
Subject: RE: Response – Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro
Fujisaki (OUO Attachments)

Mike,

The information we seek was provided to USAID, not the Japanese embassy. I’m not sure what to make of this. Either the list exists, or we were misinformed about the outreach to USAID during last Monday’s 1530 conference call. I can’t think of any other possibilities.

Thanks. Pat

From: Weber, Michael
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2011 1:27 PM
To: Orders, William; Castleman, Patrick; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys; Marshall, Michael
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC
Subject: Response – Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki (OUO Attachments)

I don’t know whether such a list exists. I led the ET until Thursday on and off last week and do not recall seeing the list to which you and Pat are referring. The most specific and detailed proposal developed by the RST was the 4 train pump train with spray nozzles to get water back into the spent fuel pools. This is the information provided to the Japanese Embassy. If we had some other list and had it electronically, we would share it promptly.

From: Orders, William
To: Castleman, Patrick; Weber, Michael; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC
Sent: Sat Mar 19 10:07:53 2011
Subject: Re: FYI – Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki
(OUO Attachments)

I believe all of the Commission offices would like to have a copy of the list or at least the link to get to it, if it is not to much trouble or distraction.

Bill

From: Castleman, Patrick
To: Weber, Michael; Orders, William; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC
Sent: Sat Mar 19 10:02:43 2011
Subject: RE: FYI – Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki
(OUO Attachments)

Thanks, Mike. The information appears to be an equipment list for the Bechtel pumping system.

The information we had requested is something different. It was reported during the 1530 Monday conference call that the NRC staff is working with USAID to identify additional equipment that could be brought in to help with mitigation. We had provided USAID with a list that was largely developed from our B5b experience (portable pumps, generators, and so forth). That list was provided to Chuck Casto. We’re not sure of what ultimately became of it. Our interest in getting the list is to provde useful background for our principals for this Monday’s Commission meeting. Mike Franovich told me that, when he was in the ops center, he saw the list over with the RST.

Thanks. Pat

From: Weber, Michael
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:29 AM
To: Castleman, Patrick; Orders, William; Franovich, Mike; Sosa, Belkys
Cc: Andersen, James; OST02 HOC
Subject: FYI – Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki (OUO
Attachments)

Good morning. Is this the information that the Commission Offices have been seeking regarding the “equipment” requests that we have shared with USAID? First time that I have seen it on an email.

From: LIA07 Hoc
Sent: Sat Mar 19 06:24:53 2011
Subject: Report on Meeting between Chairman Jaczko and Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki

Dear Colleagues,

Attached is the report summarizing Chairman Jaczko’s meeting with Japanese Ambassador to the U.S. Ichiro Fujisaki, held on March 18, 2011, at 1600 hours EST. We have also included other key documents which provide additional information pertinent to the recent events. Please note this information is “official use only” and is only being shared within the federal family. Please call the Headquarters Operations Office at 301-816-5100 with questions.

[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]

[/toggle_simple]

Previous Article

March 21st, 2011 – I’m on the hot seat – Its up to me to request your assistance – EDO – NRR

Next Article