Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:07 AM
To: J. & R. Schaperow; Tinkler, Charles; Schaperow, Jason
Subject: RE: Spent fuel pool status
we were wondering about the source of white smoke from unit 2 last nite. Last we heard, they were pumping about 330 I/min (-,86 gpm) into the vessel. They need about 50 gpm to remove decay heat, so the vessel is steaming and presumably discharging into the SP thru the valves.
This is the unit that they suspect some torus damage (and I think they are not Injecting into the containment).
They had already injected into the SFP and the last reading from the pool was 49C. Looking at the pictures, the white smoke seems to be coming from the side of the RB. any thoughts?
From: J. & R. Schaperow
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:46 AM
To: Tinkler, Charles; Schaperow, Jason; Esmaili, Hossein
Subject: Spent fuel pool status
I did some checking this morning on spent fuel pool status. I found the following:
March 15 – unit 4 – fire, explosion, pool may be boiling
March 16 – unit 4 – smoke rising
March 16 – unit 3 – white smoke
March 21 – unit 2 – white smoke
On 22 March, the Australian military flew in Bechtel-owned robotic equipment for remote spraying and viewing of the pool. The Australian reported this would give the first clear view of the pool in the “most dangerous” of the reactor buildings.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 15th, 2011 – 1930 EDT – USNRC Emergency Operations Center Status Update (enformable.com)
- March 27th, 2011 – 1800 EDT – USNRC Emergency Operations Center Status Update (enformable.com)
- March 21st, 2011 – Chemistry of emissions – Difference between zirc & hydrocarbons fire (enformable.com)
- April 2nd, 2011 – Estimated 10-30%/daily drywell turnover leakage from failed penetrations – Please delete after reading (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Why doesn’t someone convert the metric data for the stupid Americans (enformable.com)
- Savannah River to harvest and study recently found growths in spent fuel pool (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Assessing SFP Damage – SOARCA – Uncovered Spent Fuel Reports – Leak at Unit 4 SFP (enformable.com)
- March 17th, 2011 – Proposal to handle dried Spent Fuel Pool (enformable.com)
- March 21st, 2011 – Clarification and assessment of potential radiological release source terms for Fukushima Units 3&4 spent fuel pools (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Indications of Breach of Containment at Reactor 2 (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – NRC debates INES levels 3 days prior to actual upgrade to Level 5 (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – NRC Systems Analyst – 3 reactors with exposed fuel SFP Questionable (enformable.com)
- March 18th, 2011 – Requesting data on Fukushima – Total release fractions and retention (enformable.com)