To: Gibson, Kathy
Sent: Sat Mar 26 13:23:10 2011
Subject: RE: Mark I failure
However, as I have noted and discussed with RST, the unit 3 torus pressure is 2 bar. So, it may be relatively minor damage since the pressure reading is above atmospheric. Leakage may be high on the torus.
Alternatively, they may have had trouble closing a vent valve and that is what caused pressure to drop after explosion.
Evidence also suggests unit 3 containment may be flooded up to the drywell – maybe up as high as the RPV lower head. Drywell pressure is 1 bar and torus pressure is a little less than 2 bar.(suggests flooding).
Other measurement also suggested flooding. Again we discussed with RST (I talked to Don Helton yesterday before he went on RST shift and he passed it along for their telecom to Japan) View was discussed with ET as well.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- March 15th, 2011 – NUREG-0651- Torus (Suppression Chamber) Portion of the Mark I Containment (enformable.com)
- Important – Keep language professional, objective, avoid use of extreme opinion,careless hyperbole (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 UPDATE on Fukushima Daiichi – 15:30 telecon – NRC unsuccessful so far in lead role (enformable.com)
- March 16th, 2011 – Gary briefed me before the press rediscovered the issues (enformable.com)
- 3 breathtaking stories emerge from workers at Fukushima (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 – 10 days after the earthquake disaster view on core re-melting (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – The fire’s back in unit 4 – Unit 4 pool has a full core load in it and needs full attention – Holes in the upper structure from the earlier hydrogen explosion in unit 4 (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Frustrating but we have little factual info as an agency (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – NRC debates INES levels 3 days prior to actual upgrade to Level 5 (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Drywell Failure Probability and Pedestal Melt-Through Given Wet Drywell (enformable.com)
- The Fukushima Daiichi Incident and Earthquake Presentation (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Don’t know if Japan added hardened vent but I’m sure they are well aware of it (enformable.com)