The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday the finding of an inoperable backup safety system at a South Carolina nuclear plant means increased oversight and inspection of Duke Energy‘s Oconee Nuclear Station near Seneca.
This summer, Oconee engineers determined pressurized heater breakers used in the station’s standby shutdown facility were not working properly. That facility is designed to shut down the plant in case something like a tornado or flood means normal shutdown modes can’t be used.
Oconee spokeswoman Sandra Magee says the problem was fixed promptly, and Duke is not appealing the findings. “We’ve taken care of that,” Magee said. “They are good to go.” “We take their assessment of plant performance very seriously,” Magee said. “This facility has never been needed in the 38 years of Oconee’s operation.”
“The breakers were subsequently replaced with fuses that testing shows remain operable,” NRC Region II Administrator Victor McCree said. “Throughout this process, Oconee continued to operate safely. However, this represents a significant problem involving a key safety system and warrants increased NRC inspection and oversight.”
NRC officials are coming back to Oconee in January for a follow-up inspection.
Source: AP News
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- Surry Nuclear Power Plant – Supervisor Access Revoked After Arriving For Duty Over Legal Limit (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Technician At Oconee Nuclear Power Plant Tested Positived for Alcohol (enformable.com)
- Grand Gulf Nuclear – Supervisor confirmed drug test positive (enformable.com)
- NRC Approves First Stages of Progress Energy & Duke Energy Merger (enformable.com)
- April 13th, 2011 – American workers being recruited to work at Fukushima (enformable.com)
- Oconee Nuclear Power Plant Notifies NRC of Breach of Packaging of Radioactive Materials During Transportation (enformable.com)
- US Nuclear Complacency – Nuclear operations trending in unsafe direction (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – RE: Why are there no emergency diesels in U.S. nuclear power plants? (enformable.com)
- The NRC allows Davis-Besse to reopen despite cracks (enformable.com)
- NRC Issues White Finding for Plymouth Power Plant (enformable.com)