Palisades nuclear power plant is waiting on the NRC to make a final review for two safety-related incidents, which may further drop their plant safety status. Palisades would be considered by the NRC to be one of a handful of worst-performing nuclear plants in the country.
The plant was cited for a federal regulatory violation, and an additional NRC inspection was ordered at Entergy‘s expense.
NRC regional spokeswoman Viktoria Mitlyng said, it only takes one “white” finding to trigger the downgrade.
“It means we no longer trust the company to find and solve the safety issues on their own,” Mitlyng said. “So we are increasing our oversight.”
Entergy’s Tony Vitale has been site vice president at Palisades since July 2011. He is quoted, “Our site leaders, starting with me, had not established a sufficiently sensitive culture or risk management. It was not what is expected for a professional nuclear organization. A degradation of safety culture principles has led to site performance deficiencies. We need to fix and find our own problems at Palisades. A plan is just a plan. It’s nothing without action and implementation, and it runs all the way up to me.”
David Hamilton, Palisades’ general manager of plant operations, said staff is changing the way it does business.
“We were not correcting behaviors on the spot. We were not following processes. We had a weak accountability model. It’s a leadership issue. We must raise our standards, and we must really hold people accountable.”
Source: Herald Palladium
[toggle_simple title=”Related Articles” width=”600″]
- Entergy must change the way they do business (enformable.com)
- DOE to tackle insufficient safety culture at Hanford and other DOE sites (enformable.com)
- Bellefonte Nuclear Station Gets Pulled into NRC Controversy (enformable.com)
- Grand Gulf Nuclear – Supervisor confirmed drug test positive (enformable.com)
- NRC to send special investigation team to Wolf Creek after extended outage (enformable.com)
- Former Vermont Governor Rips NRC and Vermont Yankee Safety Record (enformable.com)
- NRC Issues White Finding for Plymouth Power Plant (enformable.com)
- NRC finds Entergy Safety Commitment Track Record Lacking (enformable.com)
- Palisades Nuclear Station – Loss of both main feedpumps (enformable.com)