Byron Unit 2 restarts after Steam Generator issue – VP says “safety systems passed with flying colors”

Author: No Comments Share:

An outage on Jan. 30  at the Byron NuclearPower Plant  started when an electrical insulator failed and fell off the metal structure it was attached to. That interrupted power and caused the reactor to automatically shut down as a precaution.  “The broken insulator was replaced and the NRC inspection team verified the repair,” Viktoria Mitlyng said.

Federal  investigators at the Byron NuclearPower Plant are looking at a possible design problem which could affect safety at the plant and may have been partly responsible for last weeks emergency shutdown.  Initial reports said a worker fortunately noticed the power fluxuation and cut power–a job which was designed to have been done automatically. Exelon also is investigating and said they expect to respond tomorrow.

Exelon Corp.‘s 1,136-megawatt Unit 2 at the Byron nuclear power plant in Illinois shut by late Monday soon after ramping up to 25 percent power earlier in the day, due to a turbine trip, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said.   The tower went back online Monday, but was shut back down for a short time after a minor issue with the water level inside a steam generator was discovered. That issue was taken care of and the tower was put back in service Tuesday afternoon.



“Our highly trained engineers and operators performed exceptionally well in taking the proper safe steps to analyze data and make repairs, and then thoroughly checked and tested systems before restoring the unit to service,” said Byron Station Site Vice President Tim Tulon. “Byron Station’s redundant safety systems are designed to operate if needed, and the systems passed with flying colors.”



Exelon Nuclear says the Unit 2 reactor at the Byron Generating Station began producing electricity at about noon Tuesday after it was reconnected to the electrical grid.

Source: WREX

FILE - In this March 16, 2011 photo, steam escapes from Exelon Corp.'s nuclear plant in Byron.
Station Vice President Tim Tulon said the plant’s safety systems “passed with flying colors.”

[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]


Previous Article

Radioactive Iodine found in Finland tracked back to isotope manufacturer in Budapest

Next Article

Fukushima hoses facing difficulties as chigaya grass is perforating lines