Fish taken from a lake in northern Vermont had similar levels of strontium-90 and cesium-137 as fish taken from the Connecticut River near Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant in Vernon. The fish taken from Lake Carmi were small-mouth bass and were taken from the lake by Vermont Fish and Wildlife fisheries personnel.
Cesium was found in both edible and inedible portions of the bass, he said, while strontium was found only in inedible portions, which include bones, the head, fins and scales.
During a Feb. 3 meeting of the House Fish, Wildlife and Water Resources Committee in the Vermont Statehouse, committee members heard from Bill Irwin, chief of radiological health for the Vermont Department of Health. “We got preliminary results from our fish sample analysis from Lake Carmi in northern Franklin County,” Irwin told theReformer on Monday.
“The results are that cesium-137 and strontium-90 in Lake Carmi fish is in the same range as Connecticut River fish,” said Irwin. In the same analyses, the fish had almost 500 times more potassium-40 in them than they do cesium-137, he said.
Source: The Reformer
- #Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Amount of Strontium in Leaked Water, per TEPCO (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- 89 sieverts per hour measured in soil near Columbia River in Washington – Worst contamination just feet from groundwater (enenews.com)
- Radioactive Strontium Found in Central Tokyo (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Jiji: 5 billion becquerels of beta radiation in 10 liters of decontaminated water – Includes strontium and cesium (enenews.com)
- AP Artricle on Fuku-I 45-Tonne Water Leak (No Mention of Strontium) (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Gov’t Survey: Cesium-137 levels in well water at least 6,500 times normal – Plutonium detected in 10% of samples (enenews.com)
- Strontium detected at several locations in Central Tokyo – Highest radiation of survey found outside Gov’t building (enenews.com)
- Tritium detected in Connecticut River – 1,230 picocuries per liter! (enenews.com)
- It’s Happening: TEPCO preparing to dump ‘decontaminated’ water into ocean – Still has strontium after ‘decontamination’… likely plutonium, uranium too (VIDEO) (enenews.com)
- Asahi: People eating more radiation, but not in danger – 96% of Fukushima residents ingested cesium on Dec. 4, 56% in Tokyo area -Study (enenews.com)
- Iodine-131 reported in Tokyo – 10 of 12 sewage plants test positive in December (enenews.com)
- Major US Paper Editorial: Some scientists predict 1 million people will die from cancer due to radiation exposure after Fukushima (enenews.com)
- Kashiwa City’s Radioactive Dirt: 276,000 Bq/Kg of Cesium (ex-skf.blogspot.com)