San Onofre: No restart plan submitted – No root cause identified

Edison International announced in an e-mail statement, that it hasn’t filed a request with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to restart its San Onofre nuclear plant, adding that any forward-looking statements regarding potential June restart dates in media reports were for “planning purposes only” and “are subject to change”.

Edison expects to submit its restart plan by mid-May to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which must sign off on it, Stephen Pickett, executive vice president at Edison’s Southern California Edison utility, said in a telephone interview.

Regulators may also review the $592 million the utility has spent to install the generators two years ago, Pickett said.

The utility acknowledged that any startup plans must have prior approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

“To the extent that the plant is not operating at full power, replacement power will have to be acquired elsewhere, so those costs will continue to rise,” Pickett said.  Mitsubishi’s warranty does not cover replacement power, so some or all of that cost may be passed on to ratepayers.

 

Ted Craver, chairman of SCE parent Edison International, told investors in a phone call last week that unusual wear was found in roughly 1 percent of nearly 39,000 tubes in the steam generators.

The operators of the troubled San Onofre nuclear plant now say more than 1,300 steam generator tubes have been plugged.

 

Southern California Edison (SCE), released a document Tuesday, stating that 807 tubes have been taken out of service at Unit 3 reactor, over 4 percent of the total 19,454 tubes in the two steam generators.

The Unit 2 reactor had 510 plugged tubes, over 2.5% as noted in the same document.

This is not the final tally, and the numbers could further increase prior to any restart, depending on how much testing and analysis is performed, and at what specifications. The higher the power, the greater the flow and the more likely the tubes are to vibrate.

Each generator was built with an 8 percent design margin for plugging (Under 1,600), according to a recent regulatory filing by manufacturer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries of Japan.

No comment was made on what exceeding that threshold would mean.

Continued on Page 2…

Useful news and research on the energy and electricity industries.
About author
Read More About
2 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. captddd@hotmail.com'

    Prediction Proven Correct…!

    I believe that the CURRENT PROBE into San Onofre will expose many more questionable tubes and also an ongoing coverup of safety related info that was concealed in order to sidestep NRC notifications. San Onofre has the worst safety record of all US reactors and it just makes sense that the Operator will be trying very hard to keep the lid on anything that draw attention to their reactor or it’s operation.

    The NRC gave the Nuclear Industry a “PASS” on the tube wear issue before on San Onofre and many of the other reactors around the Country http://wp.­me/p21p6a-­77L BUT NOW They are realizing that they have a much bigger problem than they first “imagined”­; metal erosion/weakness cannot be tolerated when the radioactiv­e leakage is not only high in temperatur­e and pressure but also high in amount of radiation!

    Would you use a dangerous leaking pressure pot day after day,… or would you be smart and replace it with something safer?

    Fragile tubes and a BIG EARTH QUAKE could makes a large number of those tubes all fail AT ONCE; which is what I think happened in Fukushima!

    More here: http://is.gd/9hZDZy
    and even more here:
    http://patch.com/A-sXxn

  2. captddd@hotmail.com'

    More down and dirty on SORE (San Onofre Reactor Emergency)…

    While SCE PR tried to downplay the # of tubes which went way up from a “few”, to many thousands, Sempra Chairman sold a Million dollars of stock…

    At the same time many have been saying that SORE would restart very soon… N☢T

    Sempra Chief Exec Dumps Almost $1 Million of Stock

    http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/news-ticker/2012/apr/27/sempra-chief-exec-dumps-almost-1-million-of-stock/?c=119325

    As I mentioned in the above comments, I believe that the Sempra Board Members and many other INSIDERS knew they were going to take a hit and dumped stock while at the same time, their PR folks tried to put a happy face on it…

Submit your comment

Please enter your name

Your name is required

Please enter a valid email address

An email address is required

Please enter your message

*

Enformable © 2014 All Rights Reserved

More in Nuclear News
iran-nuclear
Car accident in Iran kills one IAEA inspector and injures another

Two experts of IAEA were involved in a car accident while they were on a mission near Khondab heavy water production facilities in a central province of Iran, reported Xinhua, citing the semi-official...

Close