POINT PAPER ON CONTAMINATED WATER AT FUKUSHIMA PLANT
– TEPCO has reported standing, contaminated water in the basements of the reactor buildings at Fukushima and has asked the USG for assistance with dealing with it.
– The exact amount of water is unknown, but we are estimated at least 5.2M gals of contaminated water (this assumes that all three reactors and turbine facilities have standing water). Additionally, it is believed that a leak in the facility exists and is shedding an unknown amount of water to the environment and ocean. Finally, the water itself is contaminated with both iodine and cesium.
Options for treatment:
– Water Treatment – Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit (ROWPU)
— Currently there are only 14 ROWPUs available in Japan andthey have been set aside for base water production if required.
— Only one set of NBC filters comes with each ROWPU and the life expectancy of these filters is 100 Hrs.
— Filter flow rate of NBC filters is 7-11 GPM. Thus each set can “clean” 66K gal
— Filter cleans 95% of contamination – unknown if that meets GOJ or USG standards for release.
– Storage – Use 200k gal fuel bladders to store contaminated water
— Currently there are 6 fuel bladders at Atsugi with another 74 bladders at Sagami General Depot, giving us a total storage capacity of 16M gallons.
— Lay down area for each bladder is 50 ft X 20 ft., and each bladder weights 6,000 lbs empty.
– Due to the immediate need to gain control of the contaminated material, it is best to move forward with the storage bladder option as soon as possible. Once the contaminated water is contained, suitable decontamination methods (including commercial options) can proceed at a later date.
– Preparation and delivery of the bladders can begin within 48 hours
– Concurrently, site preparation can occur and be complete before first delivery provided earth moving equipment is on hand.
– Sizing of pumps and hoses to fill the bladders would depend on distance of “bladder farm” from reactor buildings, as well as the desired speed of transfer.
Maj Matusak/JSF J4/5-4715/gjm/29 Mar 11
Pages From C143073-02CX –12 March 29th, 2011 – Point Paper on Contaminated Water at Fukushima Plant