Estimate time for boil-dry times for a typical spent fuel pool
Source: RTM Table D-1 (see figure below)
(1) Full core recently discharged (see box in figure)
(2) 100 days after shutdown (full core unloaded)
(3) constant decay heat at 100 days on
(4) Neglect sensible heating from the table (- 10 hr)
(5) No water loss from the pool thru leaks, water spillage, explosion, etc.
Time since accident = – 5 days
Time to boiloff (Table D-1) = 164 hr = 6.8 days
Assuming pool at 100% 5 days ago and it takes 6.8 days to boil off, after 5 days about 75% (5/6.8) of water has boiled off with 25% remaining.
Time to boil-off remaining 25% = 0.25 x 164 hr = 40 hrs => this is the maximum time left considering assumption 5 above.