TEPCO gets approval to release more Fukushima water into the Pacific

Author: 3 Comments Share:

Fukushima Daiichi - 2014 The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) is overwhelmed by the massive amounts of contaminated water piling up at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and 300 tons more is being generated every day. Groundwater passing underneath the nuclear facility is being continually contaminated as is moves through the site and the crippled reactor buildings.

TEPCO’s “subdrain plan” works to pump out the contaminated groundwater and process it to remove some of the radioactive materials.  The utility hopes to be able to process and dump around 150 of the 300 tons of contaminated water being produced daily.

On Tuesday, the National Federation of Fisheries Co-Operative Associations in Japan gave TEPCO the approval required to dump processed groundwater into the Pacific Ocean.  The Fukushima Prefectural Federation of Fisheries Co-operative Associations asked that TEPCO only release water which was under the legal allowable limits for radioactive contamination.

TEPCO officials have stated that the subdrain plan is an imperative part of their efforts to stem the flow of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean and hopes to begin dumping the processed waters as early as next month.

In exchange for approving the release of the water, the fisherman’s association demanded that fisherman be given compensation for as long as the disaster impacts their operations.

The fisherman’s approval was given at the same time as a report from a third-party panel of experts criticized TEPCO for not releasing all available data related to leaks of contaminated water from the Fukushima Daiichi plant.  “There is an organizational culture at the company for officials to avoid clarifying where responsibility lies and implementing planned countermeasures,” the report said.

Source: The Asahi Shimbun

Source: The Japan Times

Previous Article

Weapons missing from LaSalle nuclear power plant armory

Next Article

Licensed LaSalle reactor operator fails fitness for duty test