From: Franovich, Mike
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:03 PM
To: Ostendorff, William
Cc: Nieh, Ho; Warnick, Greg; Kock, Andrea; Zorn, Jason
Subject: UPDATE from 15:30 telecon
Borchardt led the call
” Unit 3 at Daiichi is the unit of concern. Still do not have clear confirmation that borate seawater is making it to the core. Belief that core was at least 50 percent uncovered during the event.
* the units do have DC alternate power available (some roll out carts) to provide instrumentation and control. Info from Jim Trapp who spoke with someone on Tokyo who is technically knowledgeable of the status.
” USS Ronald Reagan readings at 0.6 mREM which we belief are consistent with a venting operation for two units. A Japanese helo landed on USS Reagan and was contaminated
* NRC issued press releases and now other agencies are following us.
* Jim Trapp will meet with IAEA counterparts in Japan in four hours.
* Ulses still en route; stuck in Northern Japan.
” The HEARINGS on the Hill next Wednesday will now be on Japan event. So far we have had low congressional inquiry, Markey’s office called.
” NOTE that there is an INTERNET SPOOF with a map showing does in the US. Someone said it had NRC logo on it, but when asked to repeat it again that person did not speak up.
” NEXT telcon at 23:30
- Japanese Minister Hosono in charge of Fukushima asks United States and France to aid scrapping reactors (enformable.com)
- March 12th 2011 12:52 PM FOAI Communication – Reactor 1 Water level was known to be below top of active fuel (enformable.com)
- Full text of Noda’s speech at U.N. meeting on nuclear safety (enformable.com)
- Admittedly Fighting a Battle They Never Imagined – JSDF Overwhelmed With Critical Operations Not Properly Prepared For (enformable.com)
- Video of Tokyo Gathering Against Nuclear Power (enformable.com)
- Japan Operator Shutting Down Nuclear Reactor After Malfunction (enformable.com)