From: Franovich, Mike
To: Ostendorff, William
Cc: Nieh, Ho; Kock, Andrea; Zorn, Jason
Sent: Sun Mar 27 21:54:45 2011
Subject: RE: RESEND: UPDATE from 2000 Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi Events
Sheron led the call
o No significant change in plant conditions. All three units have flooded turbine building basements. (isotopic samples confirm fission products in Unit 2 & 3 Turbine Building Sump water. (Note: reports from Japan indicate that the turbine condensers may used as temporary storage for the contaminated water).
o One Navy water barge arrived at the site.
o Offsite dose rates continue to decline (except for seawater contamination)
o Ambassador Roos wants a USG consensus recommendation that is signed off by all parties on how to proceed from here on regarding severe accident
management /next steps. NRC high level approval has occurred today. I asked for a copy the report given our previous request (see attached e-mail and
o NRC’s white paper summarizing safety assessment of spent fuel pools and dry cask storage went to White House today and will be shared with Commission
offices per last night’s request from the TAs.
o Casto developed agenda for Chairman’s visit. Includes meetings with Amd. Roos, cabinet crisis team, TEPCO Chairman, and USG support team (Casto, et
o Regarding addition of cooling systems and debris cleanup, TEPCO contracted Shaw.
- March 15th, 2011 UPDATE: 2000 EDT Telecon on Fukushima Daiichi – Unit 4 New Fire Broken Out – Doses in Area around 30R/hr (enformable.com)
- March 27th, 2011 – Your Career likely over (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 UPDATE on Fukushima Daiichi – 15:30 telecon – NRC unsuccessful so far in lead role (enformable.com)
- March 12th, 2011 – Youtube Video of the Tsunami Hitting Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- April 19th, 2011 – The issue of reimbursement for NRC activities is still an issue and the Japanese are invoking the IAEA charter as a basis for no reimbursement (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 UPDATE from 07:30 telecon – Fukushima Daiichi – USS Ronald Reagan picking up airborne contamination (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Units Degrading – Zirconium Fire at Reactor 4 SFP – Reactor 2 Possible Reactor Vessel Breach & Ex-Vessel Core Reaction (enformable.com)
- April 15th, 2011 – 600 small Pb blankets offered for use at Fukushima Daiichi if TEPCO/NISA would like to have them (enformable.com)