From: Franovich, Mike
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:16 PM
To: Ostendorff, William
Cc: Nieh, Ho; Warnick, Greg; Kock, Andrea; Zorn, Jason
Subject: NHK WORLD English – Unit 2 explosion being reported
The following link is directly to the NHK news network. There are several news feeds on Daiichi Unit 2 explosion near the torus/suppression pool. There is also a report of a fire breaking out of either Unit 3 or 4 (mixed reports as to which unit).
TEPCO news conference and info from NISA are the basis for the story below. With pressure buildup in the reactor, the seawater injection with the fire pumpers simply do not have enough head to inject water into the vessel.
Following the explosion, containment pressure dropped from 50 psia to atmospheric pressure (suggests a breach of the primary containment).
Also, there is a story of 17 US Navy personnel from the USS Reagan who were contaminated (low level) during their helo ride to Sendai city.
- March 12th 2011 – Core Damage at Unit 1 Prior to Explosion (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – BBC is reporting radiation levels at reactor are 1000x normal. I feel like crying. (enformable.com)
- March 13th, 2011 UPDATE from 07:30 telecon – Fukushima Daiichi – USS Ronald Reagan picking up airborne contamination (enformable.com)
- Unknown Reactor Trip at Robinson Nuclear Power Plant – Unit in Hot Standby (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Core Exposed at #2 Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 – 10 days after the earthquake disaster view on core re-melting (enformable.com)
- March 15th, 2011 – Fukushima Daiichi Units Degrading – Zirconium Fire at Reactor 4 SFP – Reactor 2 Possible Reactor Vessel Breach & Ex-Vessel Core Reaction (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – 4 Units on RCIC – 1 Unit Without AC – Different Unit With Active ECCS Due to High Containment Temperatures or Pressure (enformable.com)
- March 13th 2011 – Detailed Report of Plant Status At Fukushima Daini As of 2:00 AM March 14th JST (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Fukushima Daini Information (enformable.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – TEPCO Started Sea Water Injection But Does Not Work Well – All of fuels seem to be uncovered in Unit 2 (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – NRC Was Getting “Realtime” Information From NISA and JNES – Most Recent Information Forwarded to NSIR (enformable.com)
- March 11th, 2011 – Radioactive Steam Could Be Released From Fukushima Daiichi After NRC Knew Temperature in Reactor 1 Fuel Rods Up 50% Above Normal Levels (enformable.com)