The Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant is located on the Tennessee River near Decatur and Athens, Alabama, on the north side (right bank) of Wheeler Lake. The nuclear power plant is named after a ferry that operated at the site until the middle of the 20th century.
Browns Ferry was TVA’s first nuclear power plant; its approval occurred on June 17, 1966 and construction began in September 1966.
Tornado – April 27, 2011
At 5:01 PM on April 27, 2011, all three reactors scrammed due to loss of external power caused by a tornado in the vicinity of the plant. Control rod insertion and cooling procedures operated as designed with no physical damage or release of radiation.
Diesel backup generators provided power after a brief period of outage. An NRC Unusual Event, the lowest level of emergency, was declared due to loss of power exceeding 15 minutes. Additionally, a small oil leak was found on one generator.
Due to widespread transmission grid damage from the storms and because of the shutdown of Browns Ferry, significant blackouts occurred throughout the Southeastern United States.
- March 15th, 2011 – Don’t know if Japan added hardened vent but I’m sure they are well aware of it (enformable.com)
- Despite lack of NRC approval, work goes on at Vogtle (enformable.com)
- March 30th, 2011 – Using Catawba and Browns Ferry MOX safety evaluation reports (enformable.com)
- NRC Officials to discuss Watts Bar construction November 8th in Athens (enformable.com)
- Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant Turbine Trip and SCRAM leave station on offsite power (enformable.com)
- Surry Nuclear Power Plant – Supervisor Access Revoked After Arriving For Duty Over Legal Limit (enformable.com)
- April 4th, 2011 – All but one permanent monitoring stations around Fukushima Daiichi initially knocked out (enformable.com)
- North Anna Unit 3 Permit – EQ Reveals Major Design Deficiency that has Safety Implications (enformable.com)
- March 31st, 2011 – More surprises…did not hear about this on the 10:00 call – US Military sending Marines specialized in nuclear emergencies to Fukushima Daiichi (enformable.com)
- The lack of nuclear efficiency – Unable to affect share of global electricity or greenhouse gases (enformable.com)
- TVA’s Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant in Alabama Slammed With Red Level Violation (enformable.com)
- Supervisor at Watts Bar Nuclear Power Plant Arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Distribute (enformable.com)