Despite failing to anticipate the devastating earthquake and tsunami, and a dismal performance after they hit, Tepco’s management remains broadly in place, and shareholders and creditors are being bailed out.
Injecting money into the company smacks of the sort of complicity between the nuclear industry and its political overseers that helped get Japan into this nuclear mess.
Though the ¥5 trillion will pass through Tepco’s hands, the company has no legal obligation to register it as a loan on its balance-sheet or say how it will be repaid.
For now, taxpayers, not the shareholders or bondholders, bear all the risk.
- FOX: Radiation may have been released from Reactor No. 2 – TEPCO scheduled for 10pm EST press conference (enenews.com)
- March 14th, 2011 – Status of Fukushima Daiichi and Daini with Supplementary Materials (enformable.com)
- NISA releases Japanese nuclear stress test reviews on website (enformable.com)
- Post-Fukushima, Major Japanese Utilities Putting Pressure On Government To Restart Reactors (enformable.com)
- September 23, 2011 – Congressional Research Service – Japan-U.S. Relations: Issues for Congress (enformable.com)
- April 4th, 2011 – All but one permanent monitoring stations around Fukushima Daiichi initially knocked out (enformable.com)
- Japan Orders TEPCO to Revise Road Map (enformable.com)
- ‘Deal With Devil’ Pt 1 – TEPCO Lowered Cliff Where Fukushima Daiichi Would Be Built By 25 Feet – “They don’t listen to anybody.” (enformable.com)
- Important – Keep language professional, objective, avoid use of extreme opinion,careless hyperbole (enformable.com)
- Japan-based Author: Fukushima damage so great “Japan gov’t would go well beyond bankruptcy” – Up to $10 trillion says Tokyo prof. – Equal to 10 years of national budget (enenews.com)
- Xenon in Reactor 2 Reported More Concentrated In Latest Tests – TEPCO to check Units 1 and 3 (enformable.com)
- ALERT: “Fission restarted” at Fukushima Reactor No. 2 – Jiji reports detection of Xenon-135 – TEPCO now injecting boric acid (enenews.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – I am trying to understand the information you sent Andrea on Friday, 3/25 regarding staff who are working on the Japan event (enformable.com)
- April 2011 – Risk versus Concern – Public Health Messaging of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Incident (enformable.com)
- March 26th, 2011 – Thank you for the information – See you at the TEPCO building lobby (enformable.com)
- March 28th, 2011 – CNSC information update regarding the Japanese nuclear facilities (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Engineer: Radioactive steam continuously leaking out of Reactor No. 3 – It’s important to recognize how serious damage is at this reactor (VIDEO) (enenews.com)
- Mysterious Moves – NRC approves former TEPCO-partnered South Texas Project ABWR reactor design (enformable.com)
- TEPCO: Unknown amount of ‘radioactive materials’ leaking from Reactor No. 3 (enenews.com)
- April 01, 2011 – FYI on Unit 4 SFP new video footage (enformable.com)