Nuclear power plants can be attractive for their owners but not necessarily for consumers as they hardly ever determine the price of electricity on the energy exchange, says Alois Tost, an independent energy consultant. Tost, a German consultant who advises energy firms in the Czech Republic, said the debate about the costs of the nuclear phase-out in Germany had been misled.
Nuclear Power does not reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions
A nuclear power plant does not reduce the carbon dioxide emissions either. Nuclear plants simply do not buy any carbon dioxide certificates and in fact the use of the nuclear power lowers the price of the certificates. I have never heard about this aspect in the Czech public discussion.
In Germany this aspect was publicly discussed already before Fukushima when the government supported the expansion of the nuclear power plants lifetime and was explaining that it will decrease the carbon dioxide emission – but this was not true.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- Cesium levels around Fukushima Daiichi exceed 50,000 bq/kg in many areas (enformable.com)
- TEPCO denies reports to decommission Fukushima Daiichi Units 5 and 6 (enformable.com)
- June 2011 – Nuclear Power In Korea (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- Indian Point Offsite Notification of Oil Sheen in Discharge Canal (enformable.com)
- April 12th, 2011 – I-131 Sampling Results in US – Levels Increase (enformable.com)
- Indonesian Government Approves Construction of 200KW Nuclear Station (enformable.com)
- Clinton Nuclear Power Plant SCRAM due to high reactor steam dome pressure (enformable.com)
- Nuclear Electrica – Cernavoda Nuclear – CANDU 6 (enformable.com)
- HSCB Bank (UK) and Russia push Bulgaria to Construct Belene Nuclear Power Plant (enformable.com)
- Korea, Japan, China Agree to More Swift Information Sharing On Nuclear Plant Safety (enformable.com)
- Surry Nuclear Power Plant – Supervisor Access Revoked After Arriving For Duty Over Legal Limit (enformable.com)